• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Oregon Anting Thread

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted January 10 2020 - 8:11 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
So lets start an Oregon thread. If ya live in oregon and are anting please post here "the more info the better, pics nice too". Its gonna be a great Anting year I can feel it in my exoskeleton Lol :D

Edited by Andrewslatter, January 10 2020 - 8:12 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 11 2020 - 6:08 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I used to live 2.5-3 hours away from Portland. Prenolepis imparis and parasitic Formica will fly first. I would check for Prenolepis imparis on the first 70 degree day, from early morning to noon. For the parasitic Formica, warm, sunny days in April worked for me.
  • Andrewslatter likes this

#3 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted January 18 2020 - 12:26 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Thanks ant_dude great tip. I am super excited about impairs. I have located a few key spots for nuptial flights. Got my tubes ready at all time. Hoping to score several, I hear they survive better together as a polygyne colony. We will soon find out! :)
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 18 2020 - 4:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I knew they were polygynous, but the behavior being better in terms of survival is very rare among ant species.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 18 2020 - 4:07 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted January 19 2020 - 2:12 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon
Yeah I have heard that also. Seems like the census is the two year mark is were everyone has the colony die out. But I'm gonna try something different. Check out new post in general antkeeping...

#6 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted April 8 2020 - 1:50 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon

found me a camponotus nova under a rock in garibaldi oregon. she has also just laid eggs YAY!!!  :yahoo:

Attached Images

• camponotus nova queen.jpg

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 8 2020 - 1:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

That is a Formica sp. queen. It looks like F. pacifica to me.

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 8 2020 - 2:15 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

found me a camponotus nova under a rock in garibaldi oregon. she has also just laid eggs YAY!!!  :yahoo:

That seems to be Formica pacifica.

#9 Offline Andrewslatter - Posted April 8 2020 - 4:44 PM

Andrewslatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationtigard oregon

copy that, formica pacifica it is... Double YAY!!!  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

"she's a queen, Willow"  :king:

#10 Offline AntPerson - Posted May 3 2020 - 10:29 PM

AntPerson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Does anybody know of good places to hunt for ants in Oregon? I wanna start my first ant colony.
  • Antliebe likes this

#11 Offline Antliebe - Posted May 29 2020 - 10:46 AM

Antliebe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Same here @AntPerson.  We would also love to know of good places to hunt for ants in Oregon.  We are in the Portland area and been hunting for queens around wildlife areas, etc.  Any tips appreciated.  :)

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 29 2020 - 4:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Colonies can usually be found in old, rotting twigs, logs, and stumps, as well as under stones, especially in wildlife areas.
  • Antliebe likes this

#13 Offline OmniusClone - Posted June 5 2020 - 1:49 AM

OmniusClone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLindsay, CA
I've had a fairly long hiatus from posting in this forum, for personal/life reasons, but I figured I'd make a reintroduction here, as I've spent the last few years living in Oregon.

I was in the Medford/Central Point area. All the surrounding woodland and parkland up there is prime anting territory, especially for Componotus. Out past Eagle Point, towards the National Forest and around the Volcanic Tubes is where I would wander for the most part. I'd also try in Jacksonville, along the trails behind Britt Park.

In the city, at least where I was in a fairly new development, was rife with Tetramorium immigrans. On the right day you can pocket your limit and still have only taken a very small percentage of what's on the ground.

Didn't have any luck with the Compies, unfortunately ( they're so cool!), but the pavement ants were great to keep. Very hardy, very productive, not picky eaters.

Lots of other species, of course, and in general there's no lack of territory to explore. I only had a handful of chances to hike around. Never had a chance to see what the land around the Illinois had to offer.

Anyway, that's what I found in my very amateur and not so diligent outings. I miss Oregon, and I don't think I'm done with it for good. I might be back there before too long.

Happy Anting everyone!
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this

#14 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 24 2021 - 4:22 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

I know this thread has been silent for almost a year, but I wanted to reach out to any other Oregon people out there. I know of a few others, and there is a regional facebook group.

But if anyone is interested in looking for Queens together, or overall chatting. I figure this is still a great spot for it. I know our state has a lot of fun species, and I've been lucky enough to catch a few different ones.

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#15 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted January 14 2022 - 11:08 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

Just a reminder for any Oregon people. I'm always glad to help new people find queens, and we will be coming up on nuptial flight season before we know it. The Facebook group for the PNW is fairly active as well. 

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

#16 Offline Malachite - Posted February 27 2022 - 11:32 PM

Malachite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPNW
PNW Native here! I am new to ants and have only just found my first queen (T. sessile) on Feb 22nd.
20220222_211024.jpg
I'd really like to maybe find a few others. What other ants are native here? What are the unicorns of the area? And advice and kind words are always welcome with me!
Please let me know of any good locations I should check out in the Portland/Vancouver area!

Edited by Malachite, February 27 2022 - 11:35 PM.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#17 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 28 2022 - 5:50 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

PNW Native here! I am new to ants and have only just found my first queen (T. sessile) on Feb 22nd.
I'd really like to maybe find a few others. What other ants are native here? What are the unicorns of the area? And advice and kind words are always welcome with me!
Please let me know of any good locations I should check out in the Portland/Vancouver area!

We have a decent amount of species in the Oregon. (I highly suggest you check out Antweb and Antmaps.) We should have Prenolepis imparis flying here soon. Feel free to check out my journals, and the local facebook group for the PNW. As far as some cool species, we have tons of different Camponotus, Formica, Lasius, Pheidole, and even some Myrmecocystus!

Also, don't be afraid to DM me with any questions.

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#18 Offline Malachite - Posted February 28 2022 - 6:49 PM

Malachite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPNW

We have a decent amount of species in the Oregon. (I highly suggest you check out Antweb and Antmaps.) We should have Prenolepis imparis flying here soon. Feel free to check out my journals, and the local facebook group for the PNW. As far as some cool species, we have tons of different Camponotus, Formica, Lasius, Pheidole, and even some Myrmecocystus!

Also, don't be afraid to DM me with any questions.

Thank you so much for the info! I'm very excited to check all of it out!
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#19 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted July 29 2022 - 10:14 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

For those in the valley area. Tetramorium immigrans have been flying a lot the last few weeks. Normally from about 6AM until 10AM. 

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users