• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants of Ottawa

canada ottawa ontario

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rbarreto - Posted November 9 2019 - 10:27 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
I'm making this mostly for myself so I can keep track of what I've seen around here. The province is so large that neither antmaps nor antwiki can provide an accurate list of the species found here in Ottawa.

If you also live in Ottawa feel free to comment which species you've found (with proof) and I'll add it to the list.

Aphaenogaster fulva
Aphaenogaster picea
Aphaenogaster rudis
Aphaenogaster tennesseensis
Brachymyrmex sp.
Camponotus caryae
Camponotus herculeanus
Camponotus nearcticus
Camponotus novaeboracensis
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Crematogaster cerasi
Crematogaster linneliota
Dolichoderus mariae
Formica exsectoides
Formica fusca group (too lazy to ID these)
Formica incerta
Formica integra
Formica pallidefulva
Formica pergandei
Lasius americanus
Lasius aphidicolus
Lasius brevicornis/nearcticus
Lasius claviger
Lasius minutus
Lasius neoniger
Lasius pallitarsis
Lasius speculiventris
Myrmica sp. (too lazy to ID)
Myrmica alaskensis
Myrmica rubra
Ponera pennsylvanica
Solenopsis molesta
Stenamma brevicorne
Stigmatomma pallipes
Tapinoma sessile
Temnothorax curvispinosus
Tetramorium immigrans

Species I thought I saw but cannot confirm:
Aphaenogaster lamellidens
Camponotus subbarbatus

Edited by rbarreto, November 11 2019 - 4:39 AM.

• AnthonyP163, Lazarus and Antennal_Scrobe like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 9 2019 - 12:06 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Add Formica exsectoides
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline rbarreto - Posted November 9 2019 - 12:51 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Add Formica exsectoides

Right I remember us IDing those.

Edited by rbarreto, November 11 2019 - 4:41 AM.

Check our my store here!

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 10 2019 - 1:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Someone should make another ant distribution site in which citizens contribute. It would be much more accurate.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted November 10 2019 - 8:06 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Someone should make another ant distribution site in which citizens contribute. It would be much more accurate.

There are 2-3 of those out there
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline rbarreto - Posted November 11 2019 - 4:38 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Not sure what you mean by more accurate? I've personally confirmed all the species on that list. Allowing people I don't know to contribute would probably lead to more errors. This is more for my own personal use.

Check our my store here!

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 11 2019 - 8:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Not sure what you mean by more accurate? I've personally confirmed all the species on that list. Allowing people I don't know to contribute would probably lead to more errors. This is more for my own personal use.

I apologize for the obvious unclarity in my post. I know it sounded as if citizens would be allowed to edit, and it would most definitely be less accurate. Yet what I was thinking is something more on the order of School of Ants, in which citizens send specimens to biologists who then identify them and add them to their database. Although the website would be more on the order of AntWeb, as it is much more orderly. I said it would be more accurate due to the greater amount of specimens being collected on a regular basis, reducing the chance a species will be missed on the list.

• rbarreto likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 11 2019 - 8:30 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I apologize for the obvious unclarity in my post. I know it sounded as if citizens would be allowed to edit, and it would most definitely be less accurate. Yet what I was thinking is something more on the order of School of Ants, in which citizens send specimens to biologists who then identify them and add them to their database. Although the website would be more on the order of AntWeb, as it is much more orderly. I said it would be more accurate due to the greater amount of specimens being collected on a regular basis, reducing the chance a species will be missed on the list.

the only problem is that citizen collection information may be based of memory and may not be too accurate

• rbarreto likes this

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 12 2019 - 5:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

the only problem is that citizen collection information may be based of memory and may not be too accurate

The specimens collected by School of Ants are actual ant specimens.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 12 2019 - 9:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The specimens collected by School of Ants are actual ant specimens.

Yes, but the collection info of date, time, latitude, longitude, location, habitat, any extra behaviors, and surrounding environment are important for official records and are easily overlooked.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canada, ottawa, ontario

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users