• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Northeastern US Ant Keepers

hibernation diapause brumation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Boog - Posted August 30 2019 - 10:51 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Have any NE folk notice their colonies slowing down, filling up on food, or have little to no larvae growth? I'm keeping a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony in a grout nest and two Tapinoma sessile colonies in test tubes. This is my second year for my Camponotus ant with far more inactive workers and brood this year and am observing less activity despite a heating cable and regular feedings. I figure they're ready for gradual colder temps for a month then into brumation for winter starting in October. The two T. sessile colonies are new for me and they've got only a few workers, but they're still active so far and it'll be a new experience setting them up for winter break. Last winter, I had success putting my nest in an insulated lunch bag with a digital thermometer reading the clipped bag's temps in my garage, which stayed above 40-ish degrees F.

I'm just curious how your colonies are prepping for diapause?

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 31 2019 - 5:25 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Camponotus always do this before hibernation. My 300 worker Camponotus chromaiodes colony is doing this as well.
  • Boog likes this

#3 Offline Boog - Posted August 31 2019 - 3:07 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Camponotus always do this before hibernation. My 300 worker Camponotus chromaiodes colony is doing this as well.

I've not dealt with larger colonies for winter before, so I'm just curious how antkeepers prep their winter setup. I'm sticking with modular nests with vinyl tubing, so I can detach nests and bring them down to the garage (my room is on the second floor). I've got one homemade grout nest that's just about full holding 200+ workers now, so I'm making several more nests and outworlds to fill next year's huge growth. The brood is all dormant now it seems, they're on the smaller side but it'll double the population once they eclose, got to have the room for them ready next year. Also need to make more outworlds than I need at first, I imagine they'll need the space. I've been planning on rearranging a whole additional shelf to the one I've currently got to give them the space. I'm still assessing if modular nests and outworlds are better for me rather than a single large glass enclosure, I can't imagine moving that down stairs over winter.

How do you setup your C. chromaiodes for winter?

My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 31 2019 - 3:46 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I just put them in the garage for 3 months.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation, diapause, brumation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users