• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Double ID, please and thank you: one from coastal nuptial flight and one ground-bound found in light forest

oregon beach coast suburbs suburban forest

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline HYLIAN - Posted August 13 2019 - 12:47 PM

HYLIAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon

Hello,

I have a couple ID requests. One is from the first queen I captured, who perished likely due to my inexperience, back in May; the second is from early July, and she is alive and well. Her first two nanitics are up and about, with more soon to follow!

--First Queen (rest in peace little lady)--

ID request posted August 13 2019

1. Found out on the beach, along with thousands more of her kind. She specifically was found south of Haystack Rock, near Mo's chowderhouse.
2. May 10 2019, afternoon
3. Coastline, light brush
4. Approximately 14.7mm in length
5./6./7. Shiny black body with dark reddish legs; thicker, horizontal mandibles, which appear to have subtle bumps or ridges along the outside curves; eyes are rather small, wideset, and are located above and behind the base of the antennae; antennae are of medium relative length and appear to have two joints, one at base and one midway, with slightly curved tips and maybe 13 or 14 segments altogether; head is broad and very nearly square, approximately 2.5mm tall by approximately 3.4mm wide by approximately 3.5mm long; thorax shape reminds me of a Harley motorcycle's gas tank, starts broad but tapers from head to abdomen, about 5.5mm long and about 2.5mm at its widest; has one petiole node that is as wide as the waist, maybe 1.2mm, but can`t see a postpetiole; gaster is broadest part of body, about 4mm wide and 5.7mm long, and has a plated, sectional motif with four distinct plates/segments; cannot distinguish a sting; appears to have bristles on gaster; did not have wings at time of capture, but their former location is readily apparent on the thorax
8. No nest data
9. May 9-10; many alates had already removed their wings, and very few were still flying if they still had their wings, but the sheer number of ants present on the coast, from the beach all the way down to the ocean itself, leads me to believe that I was either present on the day of their nuptial flight or on the day after.
10. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't do close-up images very well, so this is the best I can provide [Body](https://m.imgur.com/a/nLggA3k)

--Second Queen (alive and well with nanitics)--

ID request posted August 13 2019

1. Found along a bike path on the way into town
2. July 3 2019, around 0930
3. Urban (concrete), light forest with light undergrowth
4. All measurements will be estimated using a 6.6mm wide metal depresser as reference because I do not wish to disturb her; she is roughly 7mm in length
5./6./7. Shiny black body; head is smallest proportionally, oval in shape, maybe 1mm at its largest dimension; antennae are slightly longer than that and seem to have two joints and remain straight when at rest; thorax is bulky in comparison, probably closer to 2.5mm in length (incidentally, roughly the same length as one of her nanitics), also roughly ovaloid in shape; no wings at time of capture; very thin waist and somewhat longer proportionally than what was observed in my first queen, and I think I can just make out two petiole nodes; tear-drop shaped gaster, maybe 2mm in length, appears smooth; have not observed sting or mandibles closely; no obvious bristles or hairs
8. No nest data
9. No nuptial flight data
10. Again, camera is bantha poodoo. Here's what I can get [for now](https://imgur.com/a/QrcO2vz). She's in her test tube, which is wrapped in red cellophane; I imagine that removing the cellophane for a picture would risk disturbing her, which is something that I would like to avoid. That being said, I would like to know if she's part of a semi-claustral species, which - from what I understand - would mean that I need to provide sustenance during these formative stages of the colony. I absolutely do not want a repeat of my previous attempt.

Thank you for reading, and please let me know if there's anything I'm missing other than what I've discussed. I hope to hear from you all soon!

EDIT: Took a couple more pictures of Queen #2. Still pretty potato quality, but I took one with a black and white filter so it is at least evident that she is, in fact, an ant. ;P https://photos.app.g...uVSA1VXBwoyDiAA

Edited by HYLIAN, August 16 2019 - 11:42 PM.

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 13 2019 - 1:06 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Fist is camponotus, second is an insect. I can't even tell it's an ant. :D The description sounds like pheidole. And that's just a really rough guess.

• HYLIAN likes this

#3 Offline HYLIAN - Posted August 13 2019 - 1:27 PM

HYLIAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon
Fair enough! x) The photos were clearer before I uploaded them (imgur turned them into potatoes), but even then they were terrible pictures. Anyways, thank you for the quick response! I'm guess I'd better go read some more about the pheidole species. I do hope your guess turns out to be correct; polymorphic ants are so cool. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oregon, beach, coast, suburbs, suburban, forest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users