• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Got a digital microscope

microscope photography photos pictures taxonomy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Herdo - Posted June 18 2019 - 3:01 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

For fathers day I asked my wife to get me a digital microscope so I could take some better taxonomic photos for identification.

After about an hour of use, I'm pretty satisfied with this thing.  It doesn't take the greatest photos, and I haven't been able to really test the video recording feature yet, but it definitely performs well enough for my needs.

Here's a few photos I quickly took.  Don't mind the subjects, they're a bit stiff and curled up as they died quite a while ago.

Novomessor sp. with measurements

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus stinger measurement

As you can see, it even has a rudimentary measuring feature.  It needs to be re-calibrated after every adjustment, but it works well. 

I'm pretty sure that with this microscope I was able to get a positive ID on that Novomessor worker.  Novomessor cockerelli.

Hopefully I won't have to wait long for more subjects to shoot.

• Barristan, AntPhycho and rbarreto like this

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted June 18 2019 - 4:15 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Cool!  B)  B)

• Herdo likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microscope, photography, photos, pictures, taxonomy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users