• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brachymyrmex depilis keepers?

brachymyrmex depilis brachymyrmex usa

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sericultivist - Posted June 12 2019 - 7:15 PM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience keeping Brachymyrmex depilis? They are very abundant near my house, and despite never seeing the workers (I don't go digging for them) I always find tons of queens on me as I walk home during the summer. 

So far, all the queens I have kept have been found walking around with their wings shed, but none of them even lay eggs in a test tube set-up. I don't bother them for months, and when I finally do a check, they are just sitting there with no eggs. 

Anyone have any advice?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 13 2019 - 6:23 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
They're fully claustral and polygynous meaning queens can be kept together in a single setup. Also, it's better to check on your queens every week or so instead of every few months.

#3 Offline sericultivist - Posted June 13 2019 - 7:01 PM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

They're fully claustral and polygynous meaning queens can be kept together in a single setup. Also, it's better to check on your queens every week or so instead of every few months.

Thanks, I'll try keeping a group of them the next time I see them. As for checking up on ants, I do it on a species basis. My Camponotus couldn't care less if I check up on them even daily, they don't react at all. The Formica I've kept are easily startled and eat their brood if I check up on them on a weekly basis. I thought maybe the light from the checkups was disturbing the Brachymyrmex too much, and that was the cause of them refusing to lay.

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 13 2019 - 7:44 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Like most tiny subterranean ants, Brachymyrmex depilis needs more humidity than what a standard test tube setup offers. I only found success in them when I put some Eco-Earth substrate in a test tube setup so the queen could dig a chamber herself. Only enough substrate for her to dig a chamber with, not a huge amount. I had to make sure the substrate didn't completely dry out, so I used a syringe to gently add water, making a conscious effort not to completely drench it and risk drowning the ants. When founding, they'll almost always have their chamber up against the glass (if your test tubes lay flat) so you can check on them and see how they're doing. This is also not a species that is easily disturbed, so don't worry about them failing to found a colony by checking on them too much. 

I use the same setup for subterranean Solenopsis species that require similar care, and it seems to work perfectly for them as well.

Edited by Aaron567, June 13 2019 - 7:47 PM.

• Canadian anter, VoidElecent and sericultivist like this

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 14 2019 - 5:49 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

We've had success with B. depilis in test tubes, although admittedly not much. I recommend you try heating the tubes at least during the day to promote some degree of humidification.

• Martialis likes this

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 14 2019 - 3:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Is care for B. depilis different than that for B. patagonicus?

My B. patagonicus does just fine in a 13x100 mm test tube.  I offer them a new tube every few months and they move in after their old tube becomes completely bone dry.

It seems like there should be another explanation for queens not laying eggs other than the type of housing.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#7 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 14 2019 - 4:11 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

The lifestyle of B. patagonicus differs from B. depilis in that they aren't subterranean and they actively forage during the day like other typical diurnal ants. They're also a bit larger which probably makes them tougher. They are experts at surviving various conditions, being a tramp species from South America.

• drtrmiller likes this

#8 Offline sericultivist - Posted June 15 2019 - 8:30 PM

sericultivist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Like most tiny subterranean ants, Brachymyrmex depilis needs more humidity than what a standard test tube setup offers. I only found success in them when I put some Eco-Earth substrate in a test tube setup so the queen could dig a chamber herself. Only enough substrate for her to dig a chamber with, not a huge amount. I had to make sure the substrate didn't completely dry out, so I used a syringe to gently add water, making a conscious effort not to completely drench it and risk drowning the ants. When founding, they'll almost always have their chamber up against the glass (if your test tubes lay flat) so you can check on them and see how they're doing. This is also not a species that is easily disturbed, so don't worry about them failing to found a colony by checking on them too much. 

I use the same setup for subterranean Solenopsis species that require similar care, and it seems to work perfectly for them as well.

Interesting, I wonder if a setup similar to one I'd use for a fungus grower with super high humidity would work, or I might just design something else specifically made for them. I'm guessing they won't use any outworld connected to their nest, so would you recommend adding another small chamber of slightly less intense humidity and adding food to that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brachymyrmex depilis, brachymyrmex, usa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users