• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Camponotus Species Journal

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2019 - 10:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

4-25-2019

One of my goals for this season was to find and raise a Camponotus colony as all my other ants happen to be rather tiny. I had a hunch that these would fly on 4/18 because they had already started flying in locations just a bit south of me, and we were predicted to hit 80 degrees that afternoon. Sure enough, I started seeing winged C. chromaiodes queens landing and scuttling about my yard around 5:30pm. I managed to catch two of these and set them up in test tubes.

Later on, I went to church for the Holy Thursday service, but beforehand I walked down a nature trail that is adjacent to my church. I didn't manage to find any more queens there. After the service, I explored yet another nature trail, but this too yielded nothing. I did manage to find two more wingless queens in the comfort of my own yard, though. Honestly, the vast majority of queens I've found have been in my own yard, which I attribute to all the native plantings I've done and the natural greenway that runs behind my property.

I have all four of these queens in a shoebox on top of a wineglass holder in my kitchen. I really like keeping ants in my kitchen because it gets nice and warm whenever we cook. I haven't checked any of them in a week, but I look forward to peeking in on them tonight. As I do with all of my queens, I'll be giving these girls names from Norse mythology.

Edited by ANTdrew, June 3 2020 - 9:50 AM.

• Scherme, Karma, Boog and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 25 2019 - 10:45 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I hope these queens lay eggs soon! I have five queens, but only three of them have laid eggs and I've had them for over two weeks. I certainly hope the other two queens are fertile. Good luck with these!

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:28 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Remember what I have taught you! Lots of heat, crickets and sugar water! They don't mind being checked on frequently though.

Edit: Also, once you get past the agony of the founding stage, growth is close to that of Formica.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 25 2019 - 11:31 AM.

• ANTdrew and Boog like this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Remember what I have taught you! Lots of heat, crickets and sugar water! They don't mind being checked on frequently though.

Edit: Also, once you get past the agony of the founding stage, growth is close to that of Formica.

Yes, sensei CrematoMaster!
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
And Campomaster! :lol: :lol:

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Updaaaaaate!
I donated one of my huge Tetramorium colonies to my local nature center yesterday, and their resident ant expert emailed me saying he would give me a C. Castaneus colony in exchange! That’s my dream species for sure, so I may need to morph this into a general Camponotus journal.
  • Scherme and TennesseeAnts like this

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 25 2019 - 11:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Noooooooooooooooo! I was supposed to get one first! :lol: There was even a flight last night! No queens spotted though.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2019 - 6:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

4-26-2019

I opened up the shoebox I have these queens in last night to check on them. One of the four has a neat pile of eight or so eggs. The two winged ones don't show signs of being mated, so I may release them the next time we hit 80 degrees.

I love the common name of these ants: ferruginous carpenter ant. I look forward to many more opportunities to use that colorful word in my day-to-day speech.

• TennesseeAnts and Boog like this

#9 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 26 2019 - 8:38 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Noooooooooooooooo! I was supposed to get one first! :lol: There was even a flight last night! No queens spotted though.

I'll probably beat both of you! There is a huge rainstorm going on right now and I'm hoping that these fly.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2019 - 9:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Bro!!!

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 1 2019 - 12:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I win! I just got my eleven worker C. castaneus colony this afternoon!

Edited by ANTdrew, May 1 2019 - 12:51 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and Boog like this

#12 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 1 2019 - 2:16 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I win! I just got my eleven worker C. castaneus colony this afternoon!

Dang, I was hoping to catch some this weekend after the rain :ugone2far:

Congrats anyways though. Keep us closely updated on this colony. I really hope someone can get a colony past the beginning stages.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#13 Offline Acutus - Posted May 1 2019 - 5:14 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Well I can't beat you on the castaneus colony but I can join ya!! Just waiting to get a flight up this way. Hopefully tomorrow! :)

The ferruginous ants are awesome!!! I'd also like to start one of these from scratch even though I have the colony. :)

• ANTdrew likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 2 2019 - 5:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Photo Update 5-2-2019

Well, my dream is reality. I picked up this small 11 worker colony of C. castaneus from a fellow ant keeper at the nature center where I donated Angrboda, my second huge Tetramorium colony. They are still in a tubs and tubes set up for now, but I plan to put them in a small terrarium soon with deep clay/loam soil, decaying wood, and a rock to nest under. I'll be naming her Gunnlod after a giantess in Norse mythology who was set to guard the mead of poetry. I think this is a fitting name because the queen is GIANT compared to my others, and they are all the golden color of a good mead!

Several workers came out in the evening to feed on a cricket. Overall, these are vastly different from my other ferocious, explosive, and tiny ants. I sincerely hope to do well by them.

Edited by ANTdrew, May 2 2019 - 5:50 AM.

• FeedTheAnts, Karma, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2019 - 4:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-3-2019

I did my weekly check on my newly found chromaiodes queens, and a second one of the four has laid eggs. She is one of the winged ones I didn't think were mated, go figure.

Also, my buddy's ant-phobic wife managed to find yet another chromaiodes queen in her house last night. The queen is in pretty rough shape, but I got her in a TT set-up with a drop of Sunburst to see if she revives. When it rains it pours!

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 3 2019 - 5:11 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I'm sad now...:*( I was supposed to get them first! :lol:

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, May 3 2019 - 5:12 AM.

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2019 - 5:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Your time will come, Sensei.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#18 Offline Rstheant - Posted May 3 2019 - 2:20 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Lol, I have know idea why you keep calling him that.

:lol:

#19 Offline Acutus - Posted May 3 2019 - 3:29 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Photo Update 5-2-2019

Well, my dream is reality. I picked up this small 11 worker colony of C. castaneus from a fellow ant keeper at the nature center where I donated Angrboda, my second huge Tetramorium colony. They are still in a tubs and tubes set up for now, but I plan to put them in a small terrarium soon with deep clay/loam soil, decaying wood, and a rock to nest under. I'll be naming her Gunnlod after a giantess in Norse mythology who was set to guard the mead of poetry. I think this is a fitting name because the queen is GIANT compared to my others, and they are all the golden color of a good mead!

Several workers came out in the evening to feed on a cricket. Overall, these are vastly different from my other ferocious, explosive, and tiny ants. I sincerely hope to do well by them.

Very cool!! My Queenless colony isn't very active (I attribute this to lack of a queen?)  there's probably 75-100 workers. the food disappears and the brood is growing so I know they are doing something. they may be late nocturnal ants.

My Chromiades are active all the time but at night it's insane!

• ANTdrew likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2019 - 8:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Lol, I have know idea why you keep calling him that.

:lol:

AntDude counseled me through the dark times of my Crematogaster colonies, so I dubbed him honorary CrematoMaster, and thus my sensei, lol.
  • TennesseeAnts, Boog and Froggy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users