• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Red or Pink Bacteria or Fungus

red pink bacteria fungus food problems troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 28 2015 - 5:27 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've heard mentions of a red or pink bacteria that develops in test tubes or on decaying foods.

Recently, I placed some food in a foraging area that is kept damp to support a limited microbiome of springtails and detritivorous mites.

The food was physically unchanged for several days, and either the ants or springtails chewed off a piece that was separated from the bulk of it.  After a few days, very large, translucent-colored mites appeared on the food.  Shortly after this, a red film began covering the food, and quickly covered it entirely.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the mites and springtails stopped feeding from the food once it was consumed with the red organisms.  Apparently, the mites and springtails continue to eat the food, primarily from the underside, which appears less contaminated than the top.  Perhaps the organism is highly aerobic, which would rule out fungus?

I propose that it may be possible that mites, and even possibly ants and other higher organisms, are opportunistic carriers of this unidentified, red microorganism, which doesn't appear to harm the host, but is expelled/regurgitated onto foods the host is eating through saliva or other mouthparts.  The host may only be harmed if it is within close and confined contact to the contaminated food or water source, such as a test tube.  The organism appears to require or prefer a damp and humid environment to reproduce most quickly.

If anyone has any additional observations regarding red or pink bacteria, please post them herein this thread.

I'm in the process of uploading a video that shows the various organisms living on this one piece of food.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 28 2015 - 7:18 PM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2015 - 5:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That almost looks like a slime mold.

#3 Offline Miles - Posted February 28 2015 - 7:20 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

That almost looks like a slime mold.

That's exactly what I am thinking.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 28 2015 - 7:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

In this instance, it is not very helpful to play guessing games about what it may be, based on one photo.  

If you have personal observations wherein you can describe the appearance of, or conditions in which the red or pink organism appeared, those would be the most helpful.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted February 28 2015 - 8:46 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Looks a lot like this.

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 28 2015 - 8:47 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I'd say it's exactly the same. What can you tell me about that photograph?

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 28 2015 - 9:52 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is the underside of the food on which the organism is growing predominantly on top.  

The bottom was teeming with springtails and the mites.  Most of the springtails hopped away when disturbed.

The mites, as you can see, are somewhat pink.  It is unclear if they are the source of the red organism, are capable of spreading it, or are simply pink from having eaten it.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 28 2015 - 9:53 PM.

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 28 2015 - 10:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This is kind of crazy, but I just practically stole a $240 book on mites, and will have it on Tuesday or Wednesday.  

I'm almost certain the seller meant to sell it for $40, and not $4...

Edited by drtrmiller, February 28 2015 - 10:41 PM.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#9 Offline AntGuySA - Posted February 28 2015 - 11:09 PM

AntGuySA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Hi DrtrMiller

Wow you are lucky bud take it as a sign you were suppose to have that book and share the wonderful information it contains, I mainly suffer from the yellow mold/fungus that covers the old food.

Regards, AntGuySA

Edited by AntGuySA, February 28 2015 - 11:33 PM.

It`s not rocket science 

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 1 2015 - 1:11 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'd say it's exactly the same. What can you tell me about that photograph?

It just appeared on that substrate for my failed Acromyrmex queen's fungus. A month or so after that, this happened:

One of my Myrmecocystus mexicanus queen's eggs turned pink as well...

This is kind of crazy, but I just practically stole a $240 book on mites, and will have it on Tuesday or Wednesday.  

I'm almost certain the seller meant to sell it for $40, and not $4...

Are there multiple ones for sale? That would be an interesting read...

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 1 2015 - 1:12 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

No, I got the only $4 one.  The next cheapest used copy is over $40!

I remember seeing your photos, but couldn't locate them, which is why I created this thread.

What happened to the queen with the pink eggs?  Also, what was the type and source of foods or other materials were introduced to both of the tubes or enclosures that became contaminated?

Edited by drtrmiller, March 1 2015 - 1:13 AM.

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted March 1 2015 - 3:24 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I moved the queen into a new test tube altogether, away from the pink eggs. The contaminated food was originally Chiclid Pellets, which the Acromyrmex seemed to like.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 15 2015 - 4:39 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Update:

After a few days, the entire piece of food was decomposed by the mites, springtails, and other microorganisms.

I still do not know what the red organism is, or even to what kingdom it belongs.

#14 Offline Ra3MaN - Posted March 15 2015 - 11:26 PM

Ra3MaN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPretoria, South Africa

There are bacteria everywhere, and by the looks of it your food is almost like a piece of agar that one would use to culture bacteria. Firstly, certain nutrients, select for specific bacteria. what is more, bacteria display different morphology and colouring, depending on the nutrients present in the media. An example, would be that on Luria broth Agar, E. coli appears a pale cream colour, where as on EMB agar, the same E. coli will appear metallic green. 

If you are adamant about identifying which bacteria is growing on your feed, then it would be best to do 16S RNA sequence ID (which may be pricey) there is also the API test (which works specifically with food testing. The API test uses a range different tests, including motility, gelatin digestion, as well as the use of certain carbon sources.

My take on it, is that it could be any opportunistic bacteria, looking for a easy food source... Even food with preservatives tend to spoil, especially if the conditions are suitable. 

IMG 5858

#15 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted March 16 2015 - 12:07 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Really strange looking.

Edited by Jonathan21700, March 16 2015 - 12:09 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: red, pink, bacteria, fungus, food, problems, troubleshooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users