• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures from 2018

photography insects ant fly dieptra insecta roma delenda est

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Martialis - Posted February 18 2019 - 1:05 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I'm posting here some of my pictures that I took last summer. I selected only insect pictures, as this is after all an insect (specifically ant) forum. Only one is of an actual ant, though. 

Since these were taken using an iPhone, they'll be a bit vertical. I've tried to mitigate this via cropping as much as possible.

uvkkd93N_-ELCKX98aQErK9W9Wd0SgJLg0IU6iCV

This definitely is the worst one on my list. Anyways, this was about the most aggressive Formica I've ever encountered. After I had let her go, she didn't run away and off like you might expect. Nope. She ran up my hand and attacked me. 99.9% sure she's a "slave raider." It didn't hurt, of course, but was surprising.

u9hOCnzJlq802eXDj2Ko2C0NaQB2MhbyPG3thCmw

Leafcutter bee. She was found at the same place as the aforementioned ant.

3WP9RFMryDbq9-vXidVWTP0DiL4vuK00ZMlVz4B-

This one was at a state park. It's a crab spider eating some fly or bee. I love its camoflauge.

54WQBusV1z6zRsdQ9Tim6YTLppiSi7b-g4OmdEYK

An assassin bug, I don't remember where I took this picture, but it was pretty cool seeing it.

kc3C50YTbZMyzsJi_IljM8sRSVfv-xM9kogLyyh0

A brave jumping spider. I always think he looks really proud of himself for catching that moth.

95TUp2oot-hmcaJZm8cjMqQSpAttALynZM-QGASO

A robber fly. Super fun and weird looking creature. Pretty big, too. (~32-ish mm)

wsbfmNFngV9M7xKKx-QD7TITJgYPPA8kObqLTEPb

Dobsonfly, I think? I'm not entirely sure with this dude.

iCySbZsi3AuYbEPxQOim6eOVzF9mw54O5uK52UZk

By far my favorite picture I've taken. This was on a lakeshore at a state park. As you may have guessed, that butterfly was a monarch. This was at another local state park.

I took a lot of pictures last year. These just seemed to me the best to share here.

• T.C., FSTP, FeedTheAnts and 1 other like this
Spoiler

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted February 18 2019 - 2:00 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Cool dobsonfly! I caught a male last year, and even I was scared silly by it :)

• Martialis likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted February 19 2019 - 3:31 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

The bug is a Coreidae.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photography, insects, ant, fly, dieptra, insecta, roma delenda est

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users