• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Humidity/condensation in hibernation mini-fridge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted December 31 2018 - 10:54 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Got myself a mini-fridge over the summer to make things easier to hibernate this winter.

Checked a few weeks after I put them in and everything seemed OK but today I noticed that some of the tubes and formicaria had quite a bit of condensation.

Reading were 67% humidity, temp 7.3C

I was actually worried that using fridge this year may have been the opposite problem with me having to worry more about keeping them hydrated as I thought fridges were prone to dry out.

I have most C. Novae and Formica spp.

Should I try to get that humidity lower. I can try to swab some of the test tubes but that would of course disturb them.

Should I try desiccants? (I've got lots of those silica packets you get with shipped items.)

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 1 2019 - 9:29 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
The humidity is fine for any species in hibernation right now
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted January 1 2019 - 2:51 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

I'm more worried about the condensation in the tubes and formicaria than the actual humidity level.

Through in a bunch of those desiccant packets yesterday but it hardly made a difference after 24 hrs.

Do others here experience condensation from fridges?

Last year I had no fridge so what I did was use a cooler and TWICE A DAY or so I would swap in Ice packs. It was a real drag but worked fine. A lot less work with this mini-fridge but more worrisome.

My online ant spreadsheet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users