• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Trinidad, Caribbean (Tropical Climate) 28-11-2018

antid beginner id

Best Answer Ferox_Formicae , November 28 2018 - 6:01 PM

Alright great, well that confirms it being Camponotus. Hopefully someone else can say what type..Thanks :D

I'll try and be that that person and say which plenty of confidence that this is Camponotus atriceps.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antTrini - Posted November 28 2018 - 5:03 PM

antTrini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi everyone,

I would like some assistance identifying this ant species. It is a random ant I found, however, I am 100% certain that my colony is of the same species just a lot smaller at the moment(ninatics?). For now it was a lot easier to take a picture of this ant instead of disturbing my colony(1 Queen and 11 worker with 2 or 3 larvae, some eggs and pupae).

https://imgur.com/a/x8Uj6Dl

Is it a species of Carpenter ant?

Thank you

Edited by antTrini, November 28 2018 - 5:12 PM.

• Nare likes this

#2 Offline Nare - Posted November 28 2018 - 5:11 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Looks like it is indeed some sort of Camponotus, but my ID skills aren't very great, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what species it is.

#3 Offline antTrini - Posted November 28 2018 - 5:14 PM

antTrini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Alright great, well that confirms it being Camponotus. Hopefully someone else can say what type..Thanks :D

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 28 2018 - 6:01 PM   Best Answer

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I'll try and be that that person and say which plenty of confidence that this is Camponotus atriceps.

• Wa.Va likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline antTrini - Posted November 29 2018 - 12:57 AM

antTrini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'll try and be that that person and say which plenty of confidence that this is Camponotus atriceps.

#6 Offline antTrini - Posted November 29 2018 - 1:01 AM

antTrini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'll try and be that that person and say which plenty of confidence that this is Camponotus atriceps.

#7 Offline antTrini - Posted November 29 2018 - 1:03 AM

antTrini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wow, yes you are right! I looked the species up and it looks exactly like my ants. Thanks alot!!

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 29 2018 - 7:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Impressive detective work, Cloud.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 29 2018 - 3:13 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Thanks. I'm pretty good with ant identification.

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, November 29 2018 - 3:14 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 30 2018 - 10:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Alright, I’ll need your help sooner or later figuring out whether I have Crematogaster lineolata or cerasi queens. I’m hoping to get good photos if and when workers come along after hibernation.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 30 2018 - 12:00 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Alright, I’ll need your help sooner or later figuring out whether I have Crematogaster lineolata or cerasi queens. I’m hoping to get good photos if and when workers come along after hibernation.

Okay, I'll do that. I'll need some pretty good pictures however as it's not easy. It looks like the best way to tell the difference between the queens of these two species is to look at the hairs on the mandibles. They're much longer in C. lineolata.

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, November 30 2018 - 12:05 PM.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 30 2018 - 4:57 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! That sounds tricky, to say the least. At that point with species so similar, the non-naturalist in me says, “Who cares?”
I don’t want to bother my diva queens, so I’ll try to get ID pics from workers. I’ll appreciate your skills in any case.

#13 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted November 30 2018 - 5:29 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Wow! That sounds tricky, to say the least. At that point with species so similar, the non-naturalist in me says, “Who cares?”
I don’t want to bother my diva queens, so I’ll try to get ID pics from workers. I’ll appreciate your skills in any case.

Workers are a little easier to distinguish, so it's a little easier on my part.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antid, beginner, id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users