• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Female Alate Ant ID (Pheidole navigans) (Costa Mesa, Orange County, CA) (8-16-2013)

Pheidole moerens Costa Mesa Orange County California dspdrew ant id queen ant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 2:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Habitat:  Well kept apartment landscaping/Urban.
Coloration, hue and pattern:  All very dark brown, head and gaster slightly darker.
Length:  4.5mm.
Behavior:  These were having a nuptial flight around 5:00 AM, and I caught five of them walking around in my apartment.

Note: I removed the wings to get better pictures.

Edit: This species name changed from Pheidole moerens to Pheidole navigans.

IMGP0050.jpg

IMGP0063.jpg

IMGP0034.jpg

IMGP0024.jpg

IMGP0022.jpg

Edited by dspdrew, February 3 2017 - 9:43 PM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 3:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This is likely Pheidole moerens.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 3:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Posted 8-22-2013:

Something interesting I noticed about these alates: I just stuck four of them together in one container, and two of them together in another container. Of the two, one was the alate I took the wings off of, and the other was the alate that removed its own wings. One of them laid eggs, but I didn't know which one. I wanted to just put the dealate with the eggs into a test tube for now, but I wasn't sure which one it was, so I just left them for a little longer to see if I might get some sort of clue. The next day I looked in there, and one of them had ripped the head off the other, and it was sitting over the eggs. I assume this is probably the one that laid the eggs, so either way, I moved it into a test tube. Now I noticed that none of the other four alates have removed their wings or laid any eggs. Also, none of them seem to be fighting any of the others. There definitely seems to be something much different about this one dealate, so I'm starting to wonder if maybe it could have possibly mated. If it were the only one I found, I wouldn't think this, but seeing its behavior compared to the behavior of all the others makes me wonder; I guess only time will tell.

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 27 2015 - 4:36 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hmm... They look a lot like mine...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pheidole moerens, Costa Mesa, Orange County, California, dspdrew, ant id, queen ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users