• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID (Pheidole navigans) (Costa Mesa, Orange County, CA) (12-7-2012)

Pheidole moerens Pheidole flavens Costa Mesa California dspdrew ant id

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 2:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I found this ant crawling on my porch here in the Costa Mesa, California area. This is surprising because I don't think I have ever seen any ant other than an Argentine ant in any of these coastal Orange County cities before. This ant is kind of a dark red color, and about the size of an Argentine ant. I wasn't even sure it was an ant when I first saw it, because of the size of it's head, but after taking a closer look, it's definitely an ant, and one I have never seen anything like here in Southern California.

I later found a few more of these crawling around on my porch, so there's obviously a nest somewhere near by. I also noticed some of these are VERY tiny, about 1.5 mm in length.

Edit: This species name changed from Pheidole moerens to Pheidole navigans.

IMGP0254.jpg

IMGP0257.jpg

IMGP0258.jpg

IMGP0259.jpg

IMGP0263.jpg

IMGP0207.jpg

IMGP0214.jpg

IMGP0216.jpg

IMGP0224.jpg

IMGP0225.jpg

IMGP0253.jpg

Minor Worker
IMGP0025.jpg

Major Worker
IMGP0021.jpg

IMGP0057.jpg

IMGP0058.jpg

IMGP0059.jpg

IMGP0064.jpg

IMGP0068.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2014 - 7:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Originally posted 8-16-2013:

It's so strange that I resurrected this old post and mentioned my hopes of seeing a mating flight from these next year, because something just had a mating flight this morning at my apartment complex, and it looks kind of like Pheidole. I found a few (estimated 4.5 mm) female alates walking around in my apartment this morning just before dawn (which as far as I know, is I think when Pheidole have their flights), and without looking with any magnification, and with wings in the way, they seem to be shaped like Pheidole. These alates were black though I think, so does anyone know if the Pheidole in this thread could have queens very dark or black in color? And no, they were not males. I caught a few of them as I was getting ready for work, so I should get some pictures when I get home today.

gallery_2_13_21971.jpg

gallery_2_13_24815.jpg

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2014 - 7:54 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Originally posted 8-13-2013:

While I was down on the carpet working on something last night, a tiny red Pheidole minor walked by. Assuming this was most likely the colony I once had living in the stucco next to my porch, I put a little smashed cricket on a piece of foil and placed her on it. I put the foil with her on it out on my porch and checked it in the morning, and the cricket was gone. Then, I noticed more Pheidole workers wandering all around on my new porch made of pavers. So it looks like they survived the construction after all; that's pretty amazing. Maybe if I'm still here next summer, and the colony is mature enough, I'll catch the nuptial flight I was hoping to maybe see this year.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2014 - 7:54 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Likely Pheidole moerens, or P. flavens according to Alex Wild.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 6 2014 - 8:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
This colony of Pheidole is still living out next to my porch apparently. Here's some new pictures of one of the majors I took with my microscope.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pheidole moerens, Pheidole flavens, Costa Mesa, California, dspdrew, ant id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users