• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID (Camponotus ocreatus) (Pinyon Pines, San Jacinto Mountains, CA) (3-10-2014)

ant id dspdrew camponotus san jacinto mountains palm desert california queen pinyon pines

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 11 2014 - 2:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
1. Location of collection:  Pinyon Pines, San Jacinto Mountains, California.
2. Date of collection:  3-8-2014.
3. Habitat of collection:  Pinyon pine high desert scrub.
4. Length (from head to gaster):  7mm to 13mm (Workers), 13mm (Major), 14mm (Queen).
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Yellow thorax and gaster, orangish-brown head, and very little hair.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: 
7. Anything else distinctive: 
8. Nest description:  Typical looking, flattened mound of dirt about 4 inches in diameter.

I thought I might have been digging up a founding chamber, but it turned out to be a mature nest with the queen and all just under the surface. I collected as many workers as I could. One minor worker died so I was able to put it under the microscope, but it was kind of curled up, so the pictures didn't come out very good.
Queen

gallery_2_152_48948.jpg

gallery_2_152_16004.jpg

Major

gallery_2_152_52214.jpg

gallery_2_152_64002.jpg

gallery_2_152_27727.jpg

Minor

gallery_2_152_7912.jpg

gallery_2_152_3195.jpg

gallery_2_152_81314.jpg

gallery_2_152_9538.jpg

gallery_2_152_21324.jpg

gallery_2_152_65249.jpg

gallery_2_152_31453.jpg

Habitat

gallery_2_152_79334.jpg

#2 Offline wook - Posted March 11 2014 - 2:58 AM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
I just woke up, but this might look like Camponotus (Tanaemyrmex) ocreatus by hairs, pigmentation and possibly location.

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 11 2014 - 5:18 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, but if that's true, then I doubt the ones I see a lot around the mountains closer to where I live are C. ocreatus like I have always believed. Those are more of a redish-orange with a black head and black front half of the thorax, which looks exactly like a lot of the pictures I find online of C. ocreatus, but I know, sometimes you can have the same species with quite different looking color...

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted March 11 2014 - 5:56 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Nice.  I don't have any light colored Camponotus in my area.

Interesting that you found them in the ground.  In my location, almost all Camponotus nest in wood although 2 species like to nest under rocks (but they are only found in extremely rocky areas like the Rocky Mountains).

I wonder why there are no ground dwelling Camponotus in my area....

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 11 2014 - 7:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't know, it seems like most of the Camponotus around here are ground nesting species.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted March 11 2014 - 12:54 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Looking at the shape of the petiole, and taking the coloration somewhat into consideration, I would hazard a guess of either Camponotus semitestaceus or Camponotus sansabaenus

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 11 2014 - 1:31 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah C. semitestaceus was my first guess, but I think they have just a tad bit too much hair. As for C. sansabaenus, I think they have way too much hair. Even though the C. ocreatus I usually see look much different in color, and are a little larger, I am going to guess that's what these are; the hair looks identical, and there are a few C. ocreatus pictures on AntWeb that have coloring exactly like these.

#8 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted March 12 2014 - 12:09 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
A very fascinating coloured ant. Looks like it would be made of glass.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#9 Offline LAnt - Posted March 12 2014 - 2:06 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Just wondering dspdrew, did you drive to palm desert only to find ants?

#10 Offline Apex - Posted March 12 2014 - 8:26 PM

Apex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

beautiful queen!

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 12 2014 - 10:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just wondering dspdrew, did you drive to palm desert only to find ants?

Yup.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 14 2014 - 3:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well these turned out to be C. semitestaceus according to James C. Trager.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant id, dspdrew, camponotus, san jacinto mountains, palm desert, california, queen, pinyon pines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users