• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mealworm Experiment Bin Winter 2018

dermy mealworms experiment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted September 30 2018 - 2:12 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Mealworm Bin Experiment 2018

Here's a size representation (using a Mountain Dew 2L)
TxNnRDd.jpg

Here's the screen:
NQ0lKVT.jpg

Here's the inside view, lots of space:
TcLWce8.jpg

I'll get up a test-video soon of the setup, right now I gotta wait for my footage to load in WMM and wait for
youtube to let me upload again after my last blasting of 67 videos haha.

The beetles aren't mealworm beetles but Dermestes lardarius that got in there somehow and never bred anything so I just left them.

There is some dog food in there but after the video I fed them some more food. Right now the majority are starting to pupate so not much eating.

Edited by dermy, September 30 2018 - 2:50 AM.

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 30 2018 - 6:58 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

I'm not entirely sure what you're doing here! :) Could you explain in a bit more depth please?

I keep mealworms (and Dermestes sp. too) but I'm just not getting what it is you're up to.

#3 Offline dermy - Posted September 30 2018 - 11:20 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm not entirely sure what you're doing here! :) Could you explain in a bit more depth please?

I keep mealworms (and Dermestes sp. too) but I'm just not getting what it is you're up to.

Right now I'm just in the growing phase. Most of my Mealworms are turning into pupae by the masses. I do have plans for the bin for a "Over-Feeding" thing that I've done with other things in the past. But right now not 100% sure on how or what I'll be doing in that aspect.

The Dermestes are just in there, I've never had luck with Dermestes lardarius in the winter they never reproduce. So when they die out come November/December that will be the end of them.

• DaveJay likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dermy, mealworms, experiment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users