• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vendayn's Hypoponera (punctatissima?) journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 23 2018 - 7:37 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Not a proper ID of course. Sadly, most ways to tell Hypoponera apart are minute details which I 100% can't even come close to taking pictures or video of. Can't take pictures of even Pogonomyrmex petiole lol. In any case, the closest Hypoponera I found to what I got is Hypoponera punctatissima. They have also been found in California (probably greenhouses) and considering I see them nowhere else except in my mom's plant pots...probably came from one of those. The colony I got was pretty decent sized (around 50 ants) and was nesting inside my mom's rotting plumeria plant. I have seen the same Hypoponera on the ground underneath various plant pots, so there is probably 1-2 more colonies on the porch. Otherwise, the only Hypoponera I ever found in the years I've been here is Hypoponera opacior. Which are also smaller (though not to an extreme) than the Hypoponera I got tonight.

As for ant farm. I'm using Drew's dirt box. Previously there was Pheidole flavens in there, but they escaped when their ant farm got knocked over a few nights ago. Their ant farm got invaded by mites, so I put them outside so the mites wouldn't infect everything I have. I cleaned it with bleach (must been hordes of mites still in there) and washed really thoroughly before putting the Hypoponera in.

One interesting trait with the Hypoponera I have is many of the ants (but not all) have translucent abdomens for some reason. The Hypoponera opacior around here don't have anything like that at all. The abdomens aren't enlarged with food or anything, they are just translucent a bit. Kinda neat looking.

Edited by Vendayn, September 23 2018 - 7:39 PM.

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 24 2018 - 1:57 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

They officially have at least one queen, so I did indeed get the entire colony. Its kind of hard for me to tell the queens apart from the workers with this species, especially with my bad eyesight.

I ended up moving them to Drew's founding formicarium, since the dirt box is kind of too big for them. Plus, the potting soil was so wet it was making the dirt box flood on the bottom. No wonder the plumerias were rotting lol. I'll let move them into the dirt box when the colony is bigger.

Edited by Vendayn, September 24 2018 - 1:57 PM.

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 24 2018 - 2:33 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Hypoponera absolutely need humidity and dirt so I would add loads into the inner chamber.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users