• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lighting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline pannaking22 - Posted September 22 2018 - 1:57 PM

pannaking22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This may be sort of a silly question, but what sort of lighting requirements do ants have? I know some species spend all their time underground/inside logs, so they'd be kept pretty dark, but what about the more active species one would see wandering around during the day (Pogonomyrmex seems to be the common genus here)? Would they need to have decent lighting to go about their routines, or could I keep them in the relatively dark room where I keep all my other inverts? There's enough natural light for everything to follow their normal circadian rhythms, but if I collect a species that needs more light it'll give me something to think about in terms of enclosure location. 

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 22 2018 - 2:17 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
I think with most species, it's not so much the light as it is the heat. In nature, sunlight is always warming. This is a principle so dependable that life can base its evolution on it: if it's light, it's warmth. Living things act accordingly.
Harvester ants, for example, are known to locate their nests and shape their mounds to take advantage of morning sunlight heat. The research is here:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3672904

Many ant species that build mounds do so specifically to raise their brood near the top of the nest in the warmth from sunlight shining on the mound.
So, as far as lighting goes for ant colonies, what they benefit from the most is a heat lamp.
  • DaveJay likes this

#3 Offline pannaking22 - Posted September 22 2018 - 2:58 PM

pannaking22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I think with most species, it's not so much the light as it is the heat. In nature, sunlight is always warming. This is a principle so dependable that life can base its evolution on it: if it's light, it's warmth. Living things act accordingly.
Harvester ants, for example, are known to locate their nests and shape their mounds to take advantage of morning sunlight heat. The research is here:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3672904

Many ant species that build mounds do so specifically to raise their brood near the top of the nest in the warmth from sunlight shining on the mound.
So, as far as lighting goes for ant colonies, what they benefit from the most is a heat lamp.

That's really interesting, thanks for linking the paper. I guess that makes things easier then since I have an extra heat lamp right now, plus I believe an extra heat pad too. The pad would go on the side of whatever enclosure I end up using so I don't accidentally cook them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users