• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

(sort of a journal) Pheidole megacephala vs Argentine ants (pictures 11/07/18)

27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 23 2018 - 11:40 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

No more battles happening anywhere. Looks like boundaries have been made where both ants meet, and both Pheidole megacephala and Argentine ants don't cross those boundaries. Its pretty much like last year where both ants stopped their massive battles once Summer was over. I don't even see any skirmishes anymore.

However the Pheidole megacephala still expanded a lot last rain storm. Tonight was first night I looked at them in a while that was late at night. But, area #6 now loops around and connects to area #3. 

And its not listed on the map as its a new area, but area #4 almost loops around to the colonies that expanded below that apartment building I marked out (the red box beneath where I marked #4). So they'll have that entire area controlled by them along the road/garages. Soon they will have one very large amount of territory that all connects up with each section (ignoring #1 and #5 areas). That'll give them a huge amount of ants they can reinforce with, as earlier in the year the colony was quite spread out so they were attacked from quite a lot of sides. And while the Pheidole megacephala still did good and won all battles, next year they'll be able to do even better.

And with this post being 1st on Page  and being the start of page 2. This post makes a rather fitting "break" from posting updates, this'll be last for a while. Next update will likely be next year at some point. I'll probably still check on them occasionally, but unless there is some massive huge change, this thread will be taking a long break

Edited by Vendayn, October 23 2018 - 11:50 PM.

• DaveJay likes this

#22 Offline DaveJay - Posted October 24 2018 - 2:38 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Thanks for the story so far, it was very enjoyable. I look forward to the next installment. :)

#23 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 6 2018 - 3:48 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Well, was going to wait till next year. But, I did say if there was a big event that I'd update again.

And its a big event.

its the green area across #6 that goes toward the pond and apartment's trump wall (its literally pretty much a trump wall along one side of the complex lol).

Not even night time, and its 100s of thousands of Argentine ants vs hordes of Pheidole megacephala. The Argentine ants literally can get  over a million more (no exaggeration, there are so many Argentine ants) reinforcements from the apartment's trump wall+pond areas.

However, Pheidole megacephala have secured footholds into their territory. From what I can see, they have two secured colonies and going into more the middle of the area. If the Ph. megacephala continue pushing forward and win the area, then this leads to next year that the Argentine ants stand no chance. This is a massive Argentine ant stronghold right inside the heart of their territory where they can get countless reinforcements. If the Argentine ants get pushed back and lose right in their massive stronghold, then I'm pretty sure Pheidole megacephala can push into the pond and keep winning without much effort. And its looking to be that way, despite hordes of Argentine ants moving in.

Another place Pheidole megacephala have won and pushed back the Argentine ants is battleground/front #4 where the Argentine ants are still fighting, but lost a lot of territory.

However the focus of the next updates will be the area across #6 as that is the biggest fight I've seen yet in any area. There are so many Pheidole ants, but also hordes of Argentine ants. This one conflict area will pave the way for the future of the Pheidole megacephala expansion and any future predictions. If Pheidole megacephala lose, they probably won't win the pond area either (at least not easily) as there are tons and tons of Argentine ants there. If Pheidole megacephala win and conquer the green area, then I don't see how they can lose any future conflict. This area the Argentine ants can reinforce by a massive amount, so if they lose then they just can't beat the Pheidole megacephala in this local area.

Also expect pictures :) Even if they are junk pictures, because I have to wait for night time with my flash on as most of the action happens at night. I have no idea if you'll even see ants but I'll upload it anyway even if not. I never actually used my phone at night with just a flash. But this is a massive enough event, with a massive battle going on that I want to try at least taking pictures of it.

Edited by Vendayn, November 6 2018 - 3:51 PM.

• DaveJay likes this

#24 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 6 2018 - 7:09 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
They must be making one last push to secure safe "overwintering" territory. Thanks for keeping us updated!

#25 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 7 2018 - 12:57 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

lots of pictures, sadly only one picture you can actually see the ants. So I'll put it first. But I did take pictures of the battle area.

Spoiler

• DaveJay likes this

#26 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 8 2018 - 12:07 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Its hard to say who is winning. The war pretty much goes on 24/7.

On one side, the Argentine ants made quite a bit of progress and pushed forward quite a bit. However on the opposite side, the Pheidole ants made quite a bit of progress and pushed forward quite a bit.

If the Pheidole megacephala don't continue to reinforce (like the Argentine ants are), they'll probably lose. But, it is quite a war.

Expect another update tonight. The battle borders may change as night comes and it gets cold.

• DaveJay likes this

#27 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 8 2018 - 7:35 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Looks like the Pheidole megacephala are winning, despite not getting many reinforcements from across the road. The Pheidole pushed back the Argentine ants a lot on one side. They are now going all the way past the parking space. That is also despite hordes of Argentine ants going to the battle front with large amounts of reinforcements.

The opposite side still looks to be a stalemate though. 

One interesting thing of tonights big santa ana gusts/wind, is the activity in most areas of the Pheidole megacephala colony went down quite a bit. They aren't active on the surface nearly as much, except in more wind protected areas. I wonder if the wind is also playing a part in the Argentine ant losing so much territory to the Pheidole.

Edited by Vendayn, November 8 2018 - 7:36 PM.

• DaveJay likes this

#28 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 13 2018 - 12:33 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Well, despite Argentine ants having an advantage (in terms of how many reinforcements they can get by the pond and wall). They have lost a lot of territory and almost been pushed back to the end of the plant area on one side. Though, there is still a lot of territory to take in the plant area, going along the parking spaces.

Argentine ants are being killed in each battle front, surrounded by many Pheidole. It also does seem like the Argentine ants aren't sending nearly as many ants to the battle area, which probably means they pretty much lost. 

Honestly, I thought the Argentine ants would win. They could get so many reinforcements, but even with that they are losing. I guess Pheidole are dominant in this area, and most likely won't lose any battle. It'll be interesting to see if/when they cross the road (using the concrete drainage connecting both sides) and start trying to colonize the wall area. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users