• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions about getting started keeping ants

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 17 2018 - 4:02 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hi all -

I'm planning on my first ant keeping venture and enjoying researching it all. There is a lot of info out there, so I wanted to ask a few questions here and see if I can get a little guidance. Here we go:

1) Species: I'm seeing that common beginner species camponotus or lasius niger. Those seem fine for us, and it seems like the camponotus are a big larger which is appealing. Are these good species to consider for getting started?

2) I am trying to get my head around the hibernation thing! It's September, so will we need to wait until spring for things to get started?

3) Also, I learned that the camponotus multiply very slowly and it can take a while before they even get moved to a proper formicarium. Is there any way to boost this a bit, maybe by buying an existing colony?

Also, any great resources besides this forum I should know about?

thanks in advance!! 

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted September 17 2018 - 4:30 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

1. There is quite a list of ants that I would consider for a beginner from your area. Here it goes: Aphaenogaster, Camponotus (like you said slow growing), Crematogaster, Formica, Lasius (just the fully claustral ones), and Pheidole. Keep in mind in some of those genus that there are parasitic species which you shouldn't try to keep unless you insist on doing so. These are all fairly easy to raise from a single queen and grow fast except Camponotus.

2. If you mean catching any queens right now, then yes they will likely need to hibernate before laying any eggs. Different species fly at different times of the year and you will need to look for what you want at the right time.

3. Camponotus can take up to 2 or 3 years to really ramp up production depending on species of course. You can try to boost the worker count a bit by adding Camponotus pupa of the same species to your colony. Never add workers from one colony to another, they will kill each other. As for the formicarium, if it is small enough you can fit a founding colony in it quite snugly.

antwiki.org

This is a great site if you want information on a specific species. Feel free to ask around on this forum if you can't find the information you need!

• AntsBC likes this

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 17 2018 - 7:01 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Certain camponotus can get over 200 workers in their second year. Providing heat to them will make them grow surprisingly fast.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 18 2018 - 5:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Tetramorium immigrans are super easy, too. I'm starting up my first two colonies this year, and they are thriving. They eat just about anything, and they are almost up to 100 ants now. They keep their nest clean and do things in really efficient ways.

You'd have to wait till next June to find queens, though.

• AntsAreUs likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 18 2018 - 6:38 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Hi,

Thanks for this info!!  I am enjoying learning all this and getting started.

I think I will see about buying an existing colony, then go ant hunting in the spring. It would be fun to have 2 projects going!

I have learned of a few sources for queens/colonies here in Colorado. (through GAN and someone on facebook).

The available colonies are:

Tetramorium

Lasius Flavus

Lasius Neoniger

lasius americanus

Solenopsis Molesta

Formica Argentea

So, I'm trying to choose between those. My criteria are pretty simple: something fairly easy and good for a beginner, and (this one comes from my 10 year old son) not too small! A couple more questions, if you don't mind:

1) I am looking around antwiki, but not quite sure: are there any of those species that don't need to hibernate? I am not sure if it's worth buying a colony to immediately put them in hibernation, especially since I'm not sure yet how I'll handle the hibernation. It's pretty cold here in the winter (Denver) so I'd have to figure something out.

2) These little formicariums look very cool - the Mini Hearth. I thought it might be fun to have one of those to get started with, instead of a test tube. Is this advisable? 

thanks again!!

• DaveJay likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 18 2018 - 4:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The mini-hearth is excellent. I have a colony starting in one now, and they are doing great. It looks a lot nicer than a test tube, and it takes up very little space. You just have to remember to fill up the water tower every few days, something you don’t need to worry about with a TT. Definitely get a nestmate to hook onto it for drinking water, too.
  • DaveJay likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted September 18 2018 - 5:07 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

I wouldn't recommend Formica based on my experience. However in my opinion that Lasius flavus I would take in a heart beet. 

Plants r cool

#8 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 19 2018 - 2:10 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

I wouldn't recommend Formica based on my experience. However in my opinion that Lasius flavus I would take in a heart beet. 

Hi, thanks for this input. Tell me, please, why you would choose the Lasius over the Formica? 

#9 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted September 19 2018 - 4:58 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

I would choose Lasius because Formica usually dies out during hibernation.

Plants r cool

#10 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 19 2018 - 5:36 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
Awesome. So firstly I'd say the best beginner species are Crematogaster, Camponotus, Lasius, Tetramorium and Pheidole. Most ant species are just now finishing up flights. So if you catch any queens at this point they likely will not lay until after hibernation. What you might catch at this point in the year is, Lasius, Crematogaster, and Brachamyrmex. Camponotus fly in the early portion of the summer so you won't be able to catch them until next year. To reach peak brood development, research brood boosting tips. Some basic tips are, meet the standards of their species preferred habitat, in this case, Camponotus, dry, humid warm nests, aswell as keep them in darkness aslong as possible. And make sure they get a proper amount of hibernation time every winter.

Some great sources of info:

Formiculture.com
Antmaps.org
Antwiki.org

Informational YouTube channels:

Ants Canada (his old ant care+informational playlists are perfect)
Ants Australia (all his ant videos are highly informational)
Tarheel Ants (highest quality products of interest)
RobJs Ants (gives amazing reviews of products of interest)
Crystal S (a member of the forum!)
  • DaveJay likes this

#11 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 20 2018 - 7:10 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Ok thanks again to everyone.

I am getting a small colony of Lasius Americanus this weekend, which I'm excited about! I have a couple more question if you all all still with me:

1) It would be great to still catch a queen this season, although I understand it's extremely late to the game. I wouldn't really care if they don't lay eggs until spring, it's still fun to get started. I am seeing lots of information about finding queens, but is there a resource that will help me to know exactly when ants are flying in my area? (Denver, CO). If I knew that ants were making flights, I'd be sure to go out and hunt for them. 

2) If I get a colony with, say, 10 workers, can I move them into a mini-hearth straight away, or is it best to just leave them where they are? This is mostly just because the mini-hearth looks cool and is easy to view the ants. If it won't overly stress them out, I'd love to move them in (not sure exactly how to do it, also).

3) Hibernation time is coming! I have an unfinished basement but even in cold Denver winters, it doesn't get all that cold - maybe like 62 or 64 F. However, the concrete slab floor is always a bit colder, more like 50-55 degrees. I need to confirm this but I remember seeing that once, using one of those laser thermometers. If I put the ants right on the floor, the little founding formicarium is so small I was thinking maybe it would work. Will it be cold enough? But then, I hear of people putting ants in the fridge, which is an option for me - but that's more like 39-43 degrees and the door opening and closing is a big vibration. So, basement might better. Any thoughts on this?

4) Heating the mini-hearth or whatever container they are in - what is the best way to give them some warmth? A heating cable can't really go under the mini-hearth, and a lamp seems like a little cumbersome. At Tar Heels I read that he likes to keep the heat lamp up top,, to make the outworld warmer,, mimicking nature. Anyways,, how do people do this?

thanks everyone!

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 20 2018 - 8:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You can move 10 ants and a queen into a mini-hearth for sure. Just tape the test tube to the opening and shine a bright light on them. I did this with one of my tetramorium colonies back in July. I put tape over the glass of the mini-hearth to make it darker and more inviting for them. It may take a bit, but they will move in.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 22 2018 - 12:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Did you get your lasius? Keep us posted.

#14 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted September 23 2018 - 12:17 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

Got the lasius amerianus. I don't see a caresheet for that particular species, so I'm guessing which species of lasius is closest to it, and I'll follow that care sheet.

We also picked up a tetramonium colony. They are so tiny!!

We got them from someone on a Colorado facebook group, and drove about 45 minutes home. He was helpful and it looks like they have a good setup, in a sort of tupperware with some plaster in it, and the original test tube laying in it.

But, they are a little hard to see in the semi-opaque tupperware. So, I'm hoping to migrate them at some point before they hibernate. Now I have them on a shelf in a cabinet, in darkness, just so they can hopefully settle down a bit. After that I'll gently take them out of the cabinet and take a good look!

Edited by PaxxMantid, September 23 2018 - 12:19 PM.

• DaveJay likes this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 23 2018 - 4:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nice, man! Good luck with both colonies. I know nothing about l. americanus, but I know you’ll have fun with the tetramorium. I’m planning not to hibernate mine, actually, following advice from an experienced ant keeper and anecdotal stuff I’ve read on here. Maybe that’s a whole can a worms I opened up!
  • DaveJay likes this

#16 Offline Leo - Posted September 23 2018 - 5:01 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I started with camponotus then moved onto pheidole and immediately jumped to ectommomyrmex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users