• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Baton Rouge, Louisiana 9-17-18

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline HaydenP - Posted September 17 2018 - 2:35 PM

HaydenP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2. Date of collection: 9-17-18
3. Habitat of collection: border of sidewalk and grass
4. Length (from head to gaster): around 11 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: reddish brown and has hairs
6. Distinguishing characteristics: has wing scars
7. Distinguishing behavior: I believe the ants were budding. I say this because I found many alates within 5 feet of the nest, but many queens removed their wings and were being brought into the nest via workers.
8. Nest description: dirt/sand and into the ground
9. Nuptial flight time and date: as previously stated, I think the ants were budding because I watched for a while and not a single ant flew, but many had removed their wings and were going into the nest. But I first saw them at 9:45 and I picked them up around 12. By 2, there were none to be found anymore. It was also on 9-17-18 (today).
10. Extra: I think the ant in question is a type of pheidole because I thought I saw some majors nearby. I could be wrong though because I am new at this. Also, any other information about the ant would be extremely helpful. I can try and post more pictures if needed. Thank you in advance!

https://imgur.com/gallery/cC436iz

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted September 17 2018 - 4:33 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I would say Pheidole. Not sure what species however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users