• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Modoc already hibernating? Not sure what to do.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JillionsMillions - Posted September 16 2018 - 3:00 PM

JillionsMillions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is my first year with an any colony and I went to check on my Camponotus Modoc today, it seems they have already jumped into hibernation?

This seems really early, should I warm them up until Oct/Nov?

The habitat I harvested the queen from is getting to low 60's F at night. 

#2 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 16 2018 - 3:17 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
Are they fat and huddled together and not doing much? Because I'm running into that same issue with my pennsylvanicus this month. The advice I've been given on here is go ahead and start easing them into hibernation. There's a hibernation guide on the Handy Links post on this forum

PS: This is what my hibernation-ready colonies look like. The abdomens are fat in both workers and queen, signaling that they have built up reserves for the winter they expect to come. The brood is limited to larvae mostly, with no new eggs and few or zero pupae.

Edited by CampoKing, September 16 2018 - 3:30 PM.

• JillionsMillions likes this

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 16 2018 - 7:05 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
So are mine. Last year they went into a diapause state late August, and didn't come out till February. I think that's a bit extreme, so I just do 4 months.
  • JillionsMillions likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 27 2018 - 4:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I'm trying to fatten up my Camponotus chromaides colony before hibernation in October! They have 150 workers, so they drink a lot of sugar water. Yesterday, they are half of a Carolina locust and are still looking for more!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, September 27 2018 - 4:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users