• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Zeeland, Michigan - 09/16/2018

michigan queen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cfreidsma - Posted September 16 2018 - 12:14 PM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationZeeland, Michigan

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Zeeland Michigan
2. Date of collection: 09/16/2018
3. Habitat of collection: On a flower box a couple houses away from mine. 
4. Length (from head to gaster): My ruler is missing, but she is about Lasius flavus size. 
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Relatively dark in color. 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: When compared to other queens, the gaster is large and the thorax is thin. 
7. Distinguishing behavior: Slow and general queen behavior. Like the rest of the ants, it did not like being picked up for whatever reason. I guess I am not yet ant enough for them. Maybe next year. 
8. Nest description: None
9. Nuptial flight time and date: I found it without the wings, so I don't know. 

SJl3g143_7.jpgH1-hgJ43dQ.jpgB1zhekVhd7.jpgBkQnlyVnuQ.jpgB1V2gyN2u7.jpgB1Bhg1End7.jpgH1U3lJE3dm.jpgS1Pne1NhOQ.jpgrJunlJEnu7.jpgH1FneyV3d7.jpg

#2 Offline AntsBC - Posted September 16 2018 - 12:28 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Because of the coloration I'm going to say Crematogaster lineolata, but Crematogaster cerasi and Crematogaster lineolata look very similar so it's hard to be 100% sure without worker photos.

Edited by AntsBC, September 16 2018 - 12:30 PM.

• cfreidsma likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#3 Offline cfreidsma - Posted September 16 2018 - 12:36 PM

cfreidsma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationZeeland, Michigan

Because of the coloration, I'm going to say Crematogaster lineolata, but Crematogaster cerasi and Crematogaster lineolata look very similar so it's hard to be 100% sure without worker photos.

Honestly I'm excited that she could be Crematogaster regardless of species. This is the first one of those I have found. Once she has workers I can post an update. From the pictures online the thorax shape looks more like Crematogaster cerasi.

Edited by cfreidsma, September 16 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 16 2018 - 12:55 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Lineolata are usually brown with black gasters cerasi are pitch black. My cerasi queen looks like that.

#5 Offline Major - Posted September 16 2018 - 5:50 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Deleted by Author

Edited by Major, September 17 2018 - 11:47 AM.

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 16 2018 - 6:17 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Identify Crematogaster coloration does not. C. cerasi and C. lineolata are differentiated by hair coverage on the pronotum, which is easier to do with the workers.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 16 2018 - 6:18 PM.

• AntsBC and Major like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michigan, queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users