• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen, Western NY 9/14/18

Best Answer AntsBC , September 14 2018 - 5:59 PM

Lasius speculiventris. You can tell them apart from Lasius umbratus or other closely related Lasius parasites due to the shinyness and lack of pubescence on their gaster. Next time please follow the ID template when posting an ID thread that can be found here. It helps us be able to give you a better and more accurate ID.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted September 14 2018 - 5:25 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Found this queen around 2 o'clock today. That's college ruled paper so its about 7mm wide between lines (that's for the lines of paper, not her (its just a comparison)). I don't have any other way of measuring her at the moment.

Edited by Reevak, September 14 2018 - 5:26 PM.

#2 Offline Major - Posted September 14 2018 - 5:28 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Parasitic Lasius sp.
  • AntsBC likes this

#3 Offline AntsBC - Posted September 14 2018 - 5:59 PM   Best Answer

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Lasius speculiventris. You can tell them apart from Lasius umbratus or other closely related Lasius parasites due to the shinyness and lack of pubescence on their gaster. Next time please follow the ID template when posting an ID thread that can be found here. It helps us be able to give you a better and more accurate ID.

Edited by AntsBC, September 14 2018 - 6:04 PM.

• Major likes this

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#4 Offline rbarreto - Posted September 15 2018 - 8:43 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
I wouldn't 100% say it's L. speculiventris.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users