• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Identification Request. Did I catch the queen? (Cape Town, South Africa, 16 September 2018)

identification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Stringweasel - Posted September 16 2018 - 5:17 AM

Stringweasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Good day everyone!

I've been wanting to get into ants for a while now, and finally took the leap today. I caught ants in my backyard, I think I got the queen(s) (explained later). I hope you could help me identify what I caught, and if I indeed catch the queen. This is my first post, so if it's missing anything, or if I could give more information, please tell me. I'm eager to learn!

I found the ants underneath a largish rock. I saw the ants walking around it, lifted it, and see a very large colony of ants. My guess is I saw 1000 ants easily. I tried to see where the ants seem to be in a larger concentration (my hope is that that's where the queen is), took a large shovel, and move a large chunk of dirt into a large container. I then sifted through the dirt in the container looking for queen looking ants (I have done a little research on what to look for). I could clearly see the distinction between the workers and solders (photos will follow). I then found an ant, with a bigger butt (sorry about the lingo) and thorax, and who seemed to have wing scars. I got excited, and thought I found the queen. Problem is, I found at least 10 other ants looking exactly the same. Some with wings, some without. 

So my main question is if I found the queen? And secondly, it would be amazing if someone could identify the species.

Here is an description of the ants:

All the ants have a dark orange/redish colour.

Queen (or the ones I think are queens):
  •  
  • Roughly 6mm long (0.24 inches)
  • Seems to stay near the brood, not walking around outside much.
  • Hides mostly. Once the little nest I made settled I couldn't see them anymore. They are chilling underneath little stones with the brood.
  • Found at least 10 of them
  • Found some with wings, found some without.
  • Their size and shape were very distinct from the rest

33AQ6YM.jpg?1
idJaUx9.jpg?1
iy47Xep.jpg?1

Solders:
  •  
  • Slightly larger than workers at about 4 mm long. (0.157 inches)
  • Constant size
  • Big heads. The rest of the body is almost as big as the workers.
  • Walks around between the workers.

pdoJOj2.jpg?1
juJhmvv.jpg?1

Workers:
  •  
  • About 1.5 to 2mm long (0.079 inches)
  • Constant size
  • Head and butt very dark, and thorax lighter orange/red

HVV3NTZ.jpg?1

Princes:

I do think I found one prince. He was longer and slimmer than the apparent queens, but I lost him before I could take a photo.

I attached a few photos of the ants. I'm sorry for the bad quality. Unfortunately I only have a camera phone with me.

Does someone know if I caught the correct ants?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hein

• DaveJay likes this

#2 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 16 2018 - 5:26 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Pheidole cf. megacephala

Edited by Spamdy, September 16 2018 - 5:55 AM.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#3 Offline Nare - Posted September 16 2018 - 7:48 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Yeah, it looks like you did find a queen. This species may have multiple queens in a colony, and the queens with wings will be unmated queens that will fly later in the year to mate and start their own colonies. As long as you keep the queen without wings with some workers, you should have a colony going in no time.

• DaveJay likes this

#4 Offline Stringweasel - Posted September 16 2018 - 7:51 AM

Stringweasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Pheidole cf. megacephala

That seems to be it! Red ants. Multiple fertile queens. Thanks!

If you don't mind I have another question. I caught quite a number of ants/queens. But this is my first colony, so I would like to keep it small. Can I take only 1 queen and 20 workers from this colony, and start a new one? Will they survive? 

#5 Offline Stringweasel - Posted September 16 2018 - 7:53 AM

Stringweasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah, it looks like you did find a queen. This species may have multiple queens in a colony, and the queens with wings will be unmated queens that will fly later in the year to mate and start their own colonies. As long as you keep the queen without wings with some workers, you should have a colony going in no time.

Thanks for your help! It's really appreciated!

So are you saying I could only take one queen and a few workers, and they will still survive? Don't they grow reliant on the large colony?

#6 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 16 2018 - 10:49 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Pheidole cf. megacephala

That seems to be it! Red ants. Multiple fertile queens. Thanks!

If you don't mind I have another question. I caught quite a number of ants/queens. But this is my first colony, so I would like to keep it small. Can I take only 1 queen and 20 workers from this colony, and start a new one? Will they survive? 

Possibly, in my experience, most colonies won't adapt fast enough, but since they are an invasive species and you already have many queens/workers, its well worth a try.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#7 Offline Gabraime - Posted September 17 2018 - 4:58 AM

Gabraime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
I recomend you to keep more queens as possible, sometimes queens can die for sickness or other reasons. Get rid of workers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users