• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Some Colonies Appear Hibernation Ready

hibernation camponotus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 12 2018 - 12:04 AM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

Some of my C. pennsylvanicus colonies look very ready for hibernation. They're fat, there's little to no pupae, they're inactive, and huddled together.  My only issue is they're several weeks ahead of schedule because I still need to buy a wine cooler for them.  This will be my first Camponotus hibernation.  I'm almost ready for it, and apparently so are they.

Will they be ok waiting for the actual hibernation period for another month?

That's all.  Thanks.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 12 2018 - 8:23 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You can hibernate them now and take them out sooner, that is what I have done with my C. modoc.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 12 2018 - 9:01 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

I believe ants use environmental cues and their internal clock to decide when it's time to hibernate. If they're inactive and look like they're trying to hibernate, they're ready to hibernate. I don't think you should delay it as they will be burning resources if they're kept warm.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 12 2018 - 2:05 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I just put my two Carpenter Ant colonies in hibernation. Just put them in whenever they stop foraging, the brood stops developing, or if the queen hasn't laid eggs in a while.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 12 2018 - 5:05 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
Well, shoot. I'll have to budget to get that wine cooler sooner. They're a little off-season being indoors and all. It's still toasty outside in Colorado.
I may have overdone it with the AC this year and confused them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation, camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users