No pictures, but unlike my other journal (of the Drywood termites) you can expect pictures in this one. There is actually stuff to see.
Also, I'm not 100% on the ID of Coptotermes. Hence why its put in ( ) with a question mark. There is that one termite that looks like them, out by Palm Springs. But, that is a desert species (that makes lots of "mud" tubes on dried grass and shrubs) and I'm nowhere near where they'd be. I'm pretty confident these are some type of termite in the Coptotermes genus, if not Coptotermes formosanus themselves. But, I could be wrong since if the desert species is anything to go by, it could be something similar to those. Seeing I'm in middle of a city however, and the area they are in has been entirely changed with landscaping and lots of new plants...that makes it more likely for it to be Coptotermes.
Now onto the journal.
(They are actually Amitermes californicus. Thanks for the help IDing them properly)
First thing I did was carefully get all of the termites out of the wood pieces I got, along with secondary reproductives. In the past, I've used 2.5 gallon plastic aquariums. But, those are too big and I can never see them. Instead, I liked the setup my Drywood termites are in and used the same type of glass jar I used for them (different jar of course). Its a pretty small jar, but should be good for a long time. Termites are often in cramped conditions. It should also be a far easier to maintain setup, and I'll be able to see them all the time instead of them disappearing into the mountains of dirt.
In total, I probably got an unknown amount of secondary reproductives and 100-200 workers/soldiers. Which isn't bad at all actually. Hopefully they succeed in making a good colony.
Edited by Vendayn, November 6 2018 - 1:53 PM.