• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

George's Cryptopone ochracea journal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GeorgeK - Posted September 11 2018 - 10:32 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

On warm summer day while going to my backyard to do some stuff, a queen landed on my hand. Queen is rather small ( ~3-4mm, with bright and nice coloring ). After getting her inside and put in test tube, it took us some time, and knowledge of AntsAreUs to ID the queen as Cryptopone ochracea.

After some digging and translating from Italian anting forum I managed to get some info on this rather unknown species. They are cryptic and semi-claustral species that usually dig their nests at around ~1m of depth and as such avoid hibernation. Queens dig slim but long tunnel networks which they patrol in effort to hunt springtails which seem to be their main food ( they dig so small tunnels, I don't see how anything else could fit in anyways ).

First night queen spent in test tube where I gave her some honey and fruitfly, as well as 5 crushed springtails. As far as I know, she only ate springtails.

Next day I moved her in one of those urine sample cups which I filled halfway with packed soil, and added some leaf litter on top as well as single rice and tossed in bunch of springtails.

There is evidence of queen digging ( sadly no tunnels on sides, only few tunnels visible either below leaf litter, or very bottom of cup ). Queen is very active, and as mentioned on Italian forum, sensitive to light. Moment I shine light, I can expect queen to be visible withing 10-20 seconds.

So far, I believe she is doing great, she has made effort in digging and active hunting, and I expect to see some signs of workers/eggs in spring ( As far as I understood from crappy translation, they will often carry first, single egg with them )

The day I caught her

Mg6tZJp.jpg

oIvTQxq.jpg

That night in test tube ( notice lack of springtails on foil )

I4cM1Yq.jpg

BrLGiFi.jpg

Right now, in her current "formicarium" after I uncovered it, letting light come in

S04YHKz.jpg

eFt9spr.jpg

I'm very likely going to post little updates so far, but as soon as I get endoscope I might try to take some videos of her being active

• Barristan, Leo, AntsBC and 2 others like this

#2 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted September 11 2018 - 2:37 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Very interesting ant species, looks like a red color version of Ponera sp.

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#3 Offline GeorgeK - Posted June 2 2019 - 6:44 AM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I saw queen with her egg, and at this point she has a single worker but due to nature of ants, its very hard to take pictures.

• Barristan likes this

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 2 2019 - 7:00 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Omg that’s great! :D

Spoiler

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 2 2019 - 9:31 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I saw queen with her egg, and at this point she has a single worker but due to nature of ants, its very hard to take pictures.

tell purdue entomology, he wanted info on this genus a while ago

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted June 2 2019 - 11:45 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

can not wait to see workers. ANy signs of larvae or pupae ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users