• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Splitting colonies during hibernation.

hibernation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted September 9 2018 - 5:25 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Will it be OK if I split a colony up during hibernation?

I have a setup where more than half a colony has moved into a formicarium but the queen and a fair number of workers don't want to move out of the test tube setup that is sitting in a small case.

Will it be OK if when the time comes to hibernate I just separate the two and then hook them back up together in the spring?

• Ikerrilove likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 9 2018 - 2:39 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado
I'm one to treat hibernation as a sacred delicate process where the goal is not rock the boat.
I'm hoping your queen will join your other workers before hibernation, because it's my understanding that the workers form a mass around the queen and brood to keep her warm-ish during the hibernation. I'd hate to see her separated on her own with limited support.
  • Ikerrilove likes this

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted September 10 2018 - 9:00 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

I'm hoping your queen will join your other workers before hibernation, because it's my understanding that the workers form a mass around the queen and brood to keep her warm-ish during the hibernation. I'd hate to see her separated on her own with limited support.

If they do regroup I'll be OK but I'm not sure they will. I've got two Camponotus colonies in this situation and they are 130-150 workers each and I'm wondering if when that big they know that the queen has enough 'protection' so that there is no need for all to get back together. So what are my options if they stay apart? Will physically separating the colony hurt? Will they even realize they were separated if I reconnect the tubes when I take them out of hibernation?

#4 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 10 2018 - 12:11 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

Well, technically, the colony doesn't understand that they're supposed to move out of the old tube.  To them, it's all one perfectly good nest.

There are posts on here somewhere describing techniques to encourage a queen to move out, such as shining a light on the test tube, letting it dry out, making it a little too warm (but not dangerously hot), etc.

The answers you seek are definitely already on here, I just wish I knew where.

and as far as separating them, you could try it once they're not moving. Not sure what temp you plan to hibernate them at. I understand 5C or 8C (about 46F) is the lowest safe temp for Camponotus.

Edited by CampoKing, September 10 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#5 Offline Lazarus - Posted September 11 2018 - 3:12 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

..., letting it dry out,...

One of the tubes has been completely dried out for weeks and even though another fresh tube is sitting in the outworld, the queen and some workers refuse to leave the dry tube.

#6 Offline CampoKing - Posted September 11 2018 - 3:20 PM

CampoKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationColorado

..., letting it dry out,...

One of the tubes has been completely dried out for weeks and even though another fresh tube is sitting in the outworld, the queen and some workers refuse to leave the dry tube.

1451012453663.gif

Edited by CampoKing, September 11 2018 - 3:22 PM.

#7 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 13 2018 - 5:21 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I would chill them in a fridge for 2-3 minutes then dump both groups into the desired location to be safe. Since they are chilled, they won't care too much.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users