• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Salutations from Los Angeles, CA

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Posidius - Posted September 8 2018 - 2:10 PM

Posidius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

We're new to this forum but NOT to keeping ants. My brother and I have been keeping ants for over 40 years now.  Our set-ups have reached EPIC scale.  The latest POGONO nest is 3'x3' square with an out world that's 4'x6'. :) We'll be catching up with forum posts for quite a while but if anyone has any questions feel free...

Edited by Posidius, May 17 2023 - 6:24 PM.

• Martialis, CamponotusLover, Solenoqueen and 4 others like this

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 8 2018 - 2:15 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum!  I'll be waiting to see your set-ups and colonies.  

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 8 2018 - 3:36 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Wow! Forty years! Ya, what Zeiss said, I can't wait to see your setups.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted September 8 2018 - 4:46 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA
40 years, wow. Can we get a peak at some of your colonies? That'd be great! Also welcome to formiculture!

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 8 2018 - 7:27 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Welcome!
Pictures would be great! They can be uploaded to the forum then used in threads but not uploaded into the thread itself. You need to make albums in the gallery section, upload them then select "my media" in the toolbar when you want to use them in a post. There is a how to video.
  • Posidius likes this

#6 Offline nurbs - Posted September 8 2018 - 9:58 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Holy cow 40 years?! The "antkeeping" hobby didn't really start until the 90s in Europe and their antkeeping "pro" shops along with the Internet boom which allowed enthusiasts to connect with one another around the world and share their knowledge, so I definitely want to see pictures of your setup!

• DaveJay and AntPerson76 like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#7 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 8 2018 - 10:37 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Holy cow 40 years?! The "antkeeping" hobby didn't really start until the 90s in Europe and their antkeeping "pro" shops along with the Internet boom which allowed enthusiasts to connect with one another around the world and share their knowledge, so I definitely want to see pictures of your setup!

Forty years ago I was 8 and the little plastic ant farms were all the rage, unfortunately the fact that you need a queen was omitted when advertising those ant farms. I've thought that perhaps they dissuaded more people from ant keeping than they enticed, we were set up to fail in a lot of respects.

#8 Offline Posidius - Posted February 16 2019 - 11:34 AM

Posidius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

Forty years ago I was 8 and the little plastic ant farms were all the rage, unfortunately the fact that you need a queen was omitted when advertising those ant farms. I've thought that perhaps they dissuaded more people from ant keeping than they enticed, we were set up to fail in a lot of respect.

My very first try at keeping ants was a gift from my Mom.  An Uncle Miltons Ant farm.   Epic failure insued.  I didn't understand what happened.  I followed the instructions to the letter.  My mom said that I needed to go to the library and research how to keep ants if I wanted better success, since she couldn't help me.  The rest is history...

#9 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 16 2019 - 12:28 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
What even. 40 years ago, my mom wasn't even born yet!
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#10 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 16 2019 - 1:15 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Any pictures of your colonies?

#11 Offline Posidius - Posted February 18 2019 - 10:47 AM

Posidius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

Any pictures of your colonies?

I'll get pics posted as soon as they come out of hibernation.  Nothing to see now... lol

#12 Offline FSTP - Posted February 18 2019 - 10:52 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Oh come on surely living in LA you're keeping some species that don't hibernate. Show us. LOL

If you've truly have been keeping ants for 40 years that puts you among the most experienced keeper here on the forums.  What was ant keeping like in 1977 ?

#13 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted February 18 2019 - 11:16 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I'm also rather intrigued. Where are your desert species setups?

:>

#14 Offline Posidius - Posted February 25 2019 - 8:50 AM

Posidius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

Oh come on surely living in LA you're keeping some species that don't hibernate. Show us. LOL

If you've truly have been keeping ants for 40 years that puts you among the most experienced keeper here on the forums.  What was ant keeping like in 1977 ?

I was born in 1965.  Back in the day my twin brother and I started off with an Uncle Milton ant farm as a gift. From there we graduated to using a Folgers Coffee can then a wash tub, 20 gal aquarium, 100 gal aquarium even a coffin box we built in the back yard.  We then graduated to making nests were we could see what was going on underground.  We bought a few commercial nests but just didn't like the unnatural look of those set ups.  We started experimenting with our own, more natural setups.  I have a few reels film of us as kids showing off our ant farm.  We only keep 1 colony at a time and devote all our attention to helping it grow.  It's almost always pogonomyrmex californicus;  LOVE THEM!!!  Over time...as we learned more and more, our setups grew more and more sophisticated.  Upon becoming adults, moving into our own places and making my own money, Craziness ensued.

I was able to figure out how to upload a video to Youtube...https://youtu.be/lOsLVahGlhs

Edited by Posidius, February 25 2019 - 6:13 PM.

• Enderz, Jadeninja9, mallonje and 1 other like this

#15 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 25 2019 - 8:21 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

:rofl:

#16 Offline Posidius - Posted May 17 2023 - 6:30 PM

Posidius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

I know it's been forever since we visited this site. Our current Pogonomyrmex californicus colony is HUGE. 1000's of ants now. We have just brought them out of hibernation and they are going strong.  We will be starting a new album WITH PICS soon!!!!!!!

#17 Offline Ernteameise - Posted May 18 2023 - 12:50 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGermany

Hello there!

I hope you will share some pictures of your setups!

You certainly made me curious!

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2023 - 11:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I know it's been forever since we visited this site. Our current Pogonomyrmex californicus colony is HUGE. 1000's of ants now. We have just brought them out of hibernation and they are going strong. We will be starting a new album WITH PICS soon!!!!!!!

You MUST! And welcome back.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted May 18 2023 - 12:31 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
What an amazing colony! Waiting for pics!

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#20 Offline Posidius - Posted May 24 2023 - 2:57 AM

Posidius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationInglewood, CA

We have posted some pics of our set-up and the colony. We only maintain one colony at a time.  When you see the setup, you'll understand why. I posted some videos on Youtube also.

Activity on a warm day:

https://youtube.com/shorts/3TKG-ePEzP8

Feeding time:

https://youtube.com/shorts/0rAkchZJ42o

Nice close-up:

Seed Gathering:

• UtahAnts and Ernteameise like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users