• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to ID Myrmica VS Aphaenogaster

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 5 2018 - 2:03 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I can't tell one from the other, besides the Aphaenogaster species that are distinctive such as A. Tenn. A. Picea, for example, looks a lot lime some sort of Myrmica to me and I can't tell the difference. What are the major differences that I should be looking for?

#2 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted September 5 2018 - 2:52 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Apjaenogaster queens have longer and thinner legs. Their heads are somewhat smaller and their thoraxes are larger. Also, it's easy to confuse a myrmica queen with a worker, not very much with aphaenogaster. The gaster and thorax size is the main difference in my opinion. Aphaenogaster- thin head, large thorax, large gaster, long thin legs
Myrmica- blocky head, small thorax, small gaster, stout, short legs

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#3 Offline LC3 - Posted September 5 2018 - 3:12 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Aphaenogaster tend to have a ‘neck’ and a skinnier head, much longer legs and a really arched convex back (in otherwords a pronounced metanotal groove I believe)

Myrmica tend to have shorter legs, no pronounced metanotal groove and no ‘neck’. All other aspects can be confused with Aphaenogaster on occasion I find. Myrmica also have petioles resembling Tetramorium with a blocky petiole and a rounded stout post petiole compared to the two triangular shaped petiole & petiole node of Aphaenogaster.
  • VoidElecent likes this

#4 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 5 2018 - 3:54 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Thanks for the info. I have several (what I believe to be) myrmica queens, but they're all different sizes. I have three (one still with wings) that are about 4mm, three (one with wings) that are 5mm, and one that dwarfs the other six at over 6mm. I thought some of them must be Aphaenogaster, but they don't quite fit the bill. They don't taper down behind the head like Aphaenogaster, and their petiole nodes are not triangular.

I'll post them in the ID thread now that I know what to get pictures of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users