• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Before You Sell

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Major - Posted September 4 2018 - 6:26 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
I've increasingly seeing people misidentifying species and selling. Some people give all out wrong facts. For instance, look at this image:

First of all, no RIFA in NY yet, thankfully. Then their saying it doesn't sting? Guess they would be fine with sitting on a Solenopsis hill, since they don't sting :lol: I get if you don't know it down to the species, then just say the genus. Or their was a name change that some didn't know about. But really? What's gonna happen next "Unditefied Large Black Ants in Temporary Plastic Container"? If your not sure, just provide pics or something for the buyer to ID themselves.
  • noebl1, Spamdy, FeedTheAnts and 4 others like this

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 4 2018 - 2:39 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

This is one of several reasons I have serious issues with this selling of ants nonsense. If you can not make a simple ant Id, at least to genus you have no business selling or trading live ants.

Edited by gcsnelling, September 4 2018 - 2:40 PM.

• dspdrew, dermy, AnthonyP163 and 5 others like this

#3 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted September 4 2018 - 6:41 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I've increasingly seeing people misidentifying species and selling. Some people give all out wrong facts. For instance, look at this image:

First of all, no RIFA in NY yet, thankfully. Then their saying it doesn't sting? Guess they would be fine with sitting on a Solenopsis hill, since they don't sting :lol: I get if you don't know it down to the species, then just say the genus. Or their was a name change that some didn't know about. But really? What's gonna happen next "Unditefied Large Black Ants in Temporary Plastic Container"? If your not sure, just provide pics or something for the buyer to ID themselves.

This is exactly why I only buy from sellers that are local that I know, not GAN.

• Major likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#4 Offline ZllGGY - Posted September 5 2018 - 7:40 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

you could probably report them to GAN and have them removed from the list/project

• Major likes this

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 5 2018 - 8:26 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Whoever it was, maybe they meant Solenopsis molesta. Those do sting, but you can't feel the stings.

• TennesseeAnts and Major like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 5 2018 - 2:48 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Perhaps so but regardless. If they can not provide proper Ids. they have no business selling or trading ants.

• Major likes this

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 5 2018 - 4:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Perhaps so but regardless. If they can not provide proper Ids. they have no business selling or trading ants.

I agree completely.

Mikey lets way too many ignorant kids sell ants on his site.

• dermy and Major like this

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 5 2018 - 6:45 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Ignoring what has already been stated. Since don't need to repeat what others have said...

That price....what the heck is that price. Even if selling S. invicta was legal (which as far as I know it isn't legal any state in the US), and assuming that is actually what he has (or does not have, but lets assume its correct). That is a huge rip off for them lol

Edited by Vendayn, September 5 2018 - 6:50 PM.

• Major likes this

#9 Offline rbarreto - Posted September 5 2018 - 8:06 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Ignoring what has already been stated. Since don't need to repeat what others have said...

That price....what the heck is that price. Even if selling S. invicta was legal (which as far as I know it isn't legal any state in the US), and assuming that is actually what he has (or does not have, but lets assume its correct). That is a huge rip off for them lol

You don't understand......Crystal clear viewing and a whole petri dish!

• Major and Ikerrilove like this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#10 Offline Major - Posted September 6 2018 - 3:28 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

You don't understand......Crystal clear viewing and a whole petri dish!

A whole petri dish!

This same person was advertising on their other stuff, "Queens Live up to 30 Years!!!" To try to get more people. And for some reason his or her prices are almost always the same, $71-$151.
  • Ikerrilove likes this

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted September 6 2018 - 4:43 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

GAN has been awful for years. There is ZERO quality control and obviously AntsCanada has absolutely no problem letting people sell invasive ants through their platform, even if it's potenially illegal (selling and keeping Solenopsis invicta is illegal in quite a few US states, also the RIFA quarantine zone goes straight through the middle of several states, so even sales in states where selling invicta is allowed may be illegal if the colony crosses the quarantine zone borders) - seriously "invicta" shouldn't even be a possible valid entry, people should get an error message and be told that this species can't be sold anywhere in the US.

The actual quality standards of GAN are deplorable and it is utterly ludicrous how they fail at enforcing even their OWN rules (no sales of S. invicta in the US, ants must be in a proper setup not a crappy petri dish, etc. - at least this one has workers, that's something).
With US insititutions currently cracking down hard on illegal ants (we've even had people from the chat taken away their perfectly fine native colonies by the EPA) this display of ongoing ingorance on that magnitude is probably not going to pay off in the long run.

p.s. Quadruple queen colony of Tetramorium immigrans (sp E) - buy now if you like Battle Royal games! #therecanonlybeone #winnerwinnerchickendinner

But really? What's gonna happen next "Unditefied Large Black Ants in Temporary Plastic Container"?

It already happened...

VIRGINIA:

[...]

Williamsburg (1 GAN Farmer)

Species: Unidentified fire ant
Colony size: Queen with a few workers
Housing: Small plastic container
Price: $45 USD
Number of colonies available: 1

[...]

Species: Unidentified fire ant
Colony size: A queen and about 5 workers.
Housing: temporary container
Selling price: $38
Number of colonies: 1

[...]

Species: Fire Ant
Workers: 100+ workers and a lot of brood
Housing: temporary container
Selling price: $50
Number of colonies: 1

ARKANSAS, USA:
Gravette (1 GAN Farmer)
Species: Unidentified black ant species
Colony size: 2+ workers
Housing: Glass bottle
Price: $20 USD each, $50 for all 3 colonies
Number of colonies: 3

Called them out for it a year ago...
http://www.formicult...-invasive-ants/

If you create a framework for antkeepers to make contact and sell colonies to each other you must take at least some responsibility and do the best you can to assure that 1) there is someone helping people to properly ID their ants and 2) make sure sellers do not blatantly violate the rules on the store front page by selling ants that are highly invasive and well known to have a devastating effect on their environment (which is DEFINITELY TRUE for Solenopsis invicta). Some might even be illegal to keep in the states that they are sold (there are some US states that prohibit the keeping of red imported fire ants as pets although I do not exactly know which ones these are).

Since you are so eager to highlight the responsibility we antkeepers have for our environment I'm sure you'll understand these issues and will take appropriate steps to solve them.

...obviously they haven't learned anything.

Oh yes, they did one thing, a whole month after the whole mess was over they banned my account from their forums* (as if anyone looking for actual help would ever go there :rofl2:) because that's appearantly the way AC handles criticism. Out of sight, out of mind.

*which was utterly pointless and just highlights how little technical knowledge their staff has as due to european dynamic IP I could just create an alt-account and continue posting under another name (that is if the current login-IP hasn't fallen victim to the mass IP bans they regularly perform in order to fight spambots which subsequently prevents half of their EU userbase from loging into the forums :lol: ).

Edited by Serafine, September 6 2018 - 5:24 AM.

• Ikerrilove likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#12 Offline FSTP - Posted September 24 2018 - 2:03 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Happy to see AC/GAN is still a horrible place promoting horrible ideas.

#13 Offline Major - Posted September 24 2018 - 5:29 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Happy to see AC/GAN is still a horrible place promoting horrible ideas.

Haha. In the time you were not able to participate, the only thing that changed with AC is they have become more and more dramatic.
:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Edited by Major, September 24 2018 - 5:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users