• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help Finding Crematogaster

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 8 2018 - 8:34 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I have been looking for queens of this genus since last year, but haven't been able to find any yet. I have been running my blacklight on warm nights all through the year. My friend nearby caught one around mid September, so I'm hoping to get one myself. Any tips for finding these queens?

Edited by YsTheAnt, September 8 2018 - 8:34 AM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 8 2018 - 12:56 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The only help I can possibly give is to mention that I've noticed queens flying from 1-5 pm. Also, sometimes you can be able to locate a large colony of these, and then you can check on it in the afternoon to see if they are flying out of the nest(not sure if anyone else ever does this, but it has worked for me)

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 10 2018 - 6:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I found four crematogaster wingless queens on Sunday 9/2. It had rained heavily the two previous days, and that day was extremely hot and humid. I was in a picnic area with a lot of mature trees next to the Potomac River. I found one of the queens crawling on the ground, but the rest were all crawling on the picnic table,  which makes me wonder if they are drawn to wood to look for nesting sites? It was about 2:30-3:00 pm  when I found them. I basically just got lucky, I guess.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users