• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to release young ant colony back into the wild with highest chance of survival.

release ants autumn young founding stage founding stage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 2boi - Posted August 24 2018 - 11:53 AM

2boi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNorway

Hi, i just startet keeping ants this year. I didn't know exactly how to do it, so i cought a few to many queens, now that school have started I don't have the capacity to care for all of them. The colonies have about 3-6 workers each. Is there a way to safly let them back into the wild with just a few workers? I don't want them to be snached up by a passing bird as soon as I leave just because i left them at the wrong spot.

Edited by 2boi, August 24 2018 - 11:54 AM.

#2 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 24 2018 - 11:59 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

i would just put them in a nice place and then you could even dig them a small chamber that they could then use

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 24 2018 - 3:38 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Just make a deep hole for them and try and guide them to it. They will usually cover the hole up after they go inside, at least based on my experience with past releases

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#4 Offline Antking117 - Posted August 25 2018 - 3:53 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Try to sell them.

• AntPhycho likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: release, ants, autumn, young, founding, stage, founding stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users