• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping caterpillars/butterflies?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 13 2015 - 10:06 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Has anyone done this? I thought it would be pretty neat to watch them pupate then release them, like a pet with a set timeframe (no commitment!). Any particularly easy/difficult/cool species?

• Etherwulf likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dean_k - Posted February 13 2015 - 10:11 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Not sure whether you count moth into butterfly category, but you can try waxworm for wax moth.

They are fairly easy to culture.

#3 Offline William. T - Posted February 13 2015 - 10:40 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

You can keep a Painted Lady. You can buy them online. Neat pets.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#4 Offline LAnt - Posted February 13 2015 - 3:43 PM

LAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
I found a monarch chrysalis maybe 2 months ago and it was quite cool when she hatched.

#5 Offline kellakk - Posted February 13 2015 - 6:14 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I got into keeping silk moths (Saturniidae) last year and tried my hand at Painted Ladies as well.  It's fun, but a lot of work!  The caterpillars need to constantly have fresh food or else they'll dehydrate/starve.  I currently have hundreds of L1 Samia ricini. You can have some if you want, there's too many for me to keep.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted February 13 2015 - 9:07 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I got into keeping silk moths (Saturniidae) last year and tried my hand at Painted Ladies as well.  It's fun, but a lot of work!  The caterpillars need to constantly have fresh food or else they'll dehydrate/starve.  I currently have hundreds of L1 Samia ricini. You can have some if you want, there's too many for me to keep.

Thanks, I'll definitely consider it. I was hoping it would be easy along the lines of keeping fruit flies... :rolleyes:

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users