• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ISO termites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rdurham02 - Posted August 20 2018 - 6:16 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Good morning all!

As the title suggests I am searching for termites to purchase to give my termite-hut design another trial.Unfortunately, termites are very rare to non-existent in Maine. In my multiple years of scrounging through rotting wood to search for ants, I have never come across any. I previously purchased some eastern subterranean termites from a member on dendroboard.com but this colony collapsed. I would like to give some dampwood termites (Zootermopsis sp.) a try but any termites would do. Outside of Carolina Biological/Ward's Science which charge exorbitant amounts for shipping I have failed to find another source. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!  :D

• Nare likes this

#2 Offline Nare - Posted August 20 2018 - 12:35 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Good morning all!

As the title suggests I am searching for termites to purchase to give my termite-hut design another trial.Unfortunately, termites are very rare to non-existent in Maine. In my multiple years of scrounging through rotting wood to search for ants, I have never come across any. I previously purchased some eastern subterranean termites from a member on dendroboard.com but this colony collapsed. I would like to give some dampwood termites (Zootermopsis sp.) a try but any termites would do. Outside of Carolina Biological/Ward's Science which charge exorbitant amounts for shipping I have failed to find another source. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Wards doesn't ship Zootermopsis that can become reproductives, however, I think they sell R. flavipes, or some species of Reticulitermes that can become reproductives, because almost all members of Reticulitermes colonies can become reproductives. I know there are some ant stores that also sell termites, but I assume the same rules would apply for importing termites as for importing ants.

Unfortunately , wards is your best bet. It does look like termites are infact native to Maine, though, so if you don't want to spend the money, you'd have to spend the time searching for them. I wrote more about where I found the species you'll find, as in the specific habitat, but you're more likely to find them if you're in southern Maine. Hope that sorta helps.

• rdurham02 likes this

#3 Offline rdurham02 - Posted August 20 2018 - 1:37 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Good morning all!

Wards doesn't ship Zootermopsis that can become reproductives, however, I think they sell R. flavipes, or some species of Reticulitermes that can become reproductives, because almost all members of Reticulitermes colonies can become reproductives. I know there are some ant stores that also sell termites, but I assume the same rules would apply for importing termites as for importing ants.

Unfortunately , wards is your best bet. It does look like termites are infact native to Maine, though, so if you don't want to spend the money, you'd have to spend the time searching for them. I wrote more about where I found the species you'll find, as in the specific habitat, but you're more likely to find them if you're in southern Maine. Hope that sorta helps.

Thanks for the info.! I have searched for them in Southern Maine throughout the salt marshes, and forested areas with no luck. May just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra $$$ for shipping from Ward's. I was just curious if any else had other sources they used.

• Nare likes this

#4 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 20 2018 - 6:39 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Good morning all!

The first part isn't likely true. Zootermopsis don't have a true worker caste, and any of the termites they send (besides the soldiers) can become reproductives.

Its like the Termitat guy...even though he said he doesn't sell reproductives, that isn't 100% true either. Sure they aren't selling winged alates or the queen+male themselves, but that doesn't matter with Zootermopsis. Same with subterranean termites found in the US...the nymphs and the very young workers can often become secondary reproductives.

Edited by Vendayn, August 20 2018 - 6:42 PM.

• rdurham02 and Nare like this

#5 Offline Nare - Posted August 20 2018 - 7:39 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Good morning all!

The first part isn't likely true. Zootermopsis don't have a true worker caste, and any of the termites they send (besides the soldiers) can become reproductives.

Its like the Termitat guy...even though he said he doesn't sell reproductives, that isn't 100% true either. Sure they aren't selling winged alates or the queen+male themselves, but that doesn't matter with Zootermopsis. Same with subterranean termites found in the US...the nymphs and the very young workers can often become secondary reproductives.

Sorry, I guess that's my bad. I've never kept Zootermopsis, and they live on the other side of the country to myself, so I haven't done a ton of research on them, or at least not as much as I have on R. flavipes, so I just assumed that what the page said was correct. I shall check my facts next time.

#6 Offline rdurham02 - Posted August 25 2018 - 11:53 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Good morning all!

Good to know! Thanks Vendayn, this is helpful  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users