• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping Pheidole- What's There To Know?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Major - Posted August 15 2018 - 7:29 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
OK, so I am currently thinking of purchasing a Pheidole Bicarinata colony with 10-15 workers. I love the extent of polymorphism between majors and minors. I wanted to ask a few questions before I make any desicions. I've already searched about them in the forums but couldn't find too much.

- Do they like high humidity? Will Drew's starter formicaria be OK with them? (also thinking about getting that)

- How big do colony's get?

- When do they get majors?

- How do you feed them liquid foods, they tend to drown themselves?

- Does anyone have any experience with this species, if so could you explain your experience with them and anything else that I may need to know?

Edited by Major, August 15 2018 - 8:56 AM.

• giraffedom likes this

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted August 16 2018 - 7:09 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
-Drew's starter formicarium is perfect. They are a pain to move early on, and with test tubes you will need to move them out fast. With Drew's design you don't have to. Pheidole like humidity and will die if kept to dry in a matter of days.

-Colonies can get fairly large, I am not sure on the upper limit, but usually mature colonies are at least 500-1,000 workers, probably even more.

-The time it takes for the colony to get majord varies. It is usually before 50 workers though, oftentimes much earlier.

-Using something as a sponge (cotton) or a liquid feeder might be the best way to feed this species.

-They are fun to keep and a pain to move. Keep humidity up and you are good to go.
  • Major likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#3 Offline Major - Posted August 16 2018 - 8:05 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

-Drew's starter formicarium is perfect. They are a pain to move early on, and with test tubes you will need to move them out fast. With Drew's design you don't have to. Pheidole like humidity and will die if kept to dry in a matter of days.
-Colonies can get fairly large, I am not sure on the upper limit, but usually mature colonies are at least 500-1,000 workers, probably even more.
-The time it takes for the colony to get majord varies. It is usually before 50 workers though, oftentimes much earlier.
-Using something as a sponge (cotton) or a liquid feeder might be the best way to feed this species.
-They are fun to keep and a pain to move. Keep humidity up and you are good to go.

Thanks you'd so much! This is exactly what I needed to know!

#4 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 16 2018 - 8:41 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

One of my colonies has a major pupa already at 18 workers

So if they get lots of food, which they will since they are captive, then the major larvae shows up pretty soon.

It just takes a while for the pupa to eclose

I don't know about Pheidole species in other countries, but the ones here in Australia they get into the 10000 and more range

And the species here are above average in size

--

I use raw honey, small drops, no issues. But test tube water feeders work best

Cream honey is solid

Edited by CoolColJ, August 16 2018 - 8:44 PM.

• giraffedom and DaveJay like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#5 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 16 2018 - 9:48 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
I like near the start of the video where he says "...they never seem to sit still" , and there's a major in the middle of the screen not moving at all! I imagined "except for that !@#$* who's gonna get squished if she keeps messing with me!" ;)

#6 Offline Solinopis - Posted August 17 2018 - 7:59 AM

Solinopis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Pheidole what a beautiful species I keep this species at my Florida home. They are quite the amazing species and get there majors pretty fast. How old is your colony

#7 Offline Major - Posted August 17 2018 - 8:50 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
It isn't my colonly- yet. I will be purchasing one soon. It will be 15-20 workers.
  • DaveJay likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users