• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jordan's Camponotus fragilis Journal

ant journal camponotus camponotus journal camponotus fragilis c. fragilis camponotus fragilis journal

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Offline DaveJay - Posted September 1 2018 - 7:12 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Nice! Almost an instant colony! These are very similar to the Camponotus sp."Cairns" I bought recently. They are also very shy, I stuck a strip of narrow electrical tape along the tube which calms them but makes it hard for me to check on them. Their comfort comes first though.
Nice Journal, keep us updated!

Oh, and it does show date and time when you post but in the readers time zone so adding a date can be handy. For instance I am posting this at 12.40 am on Sunday the 2nd September but that won't be the time and date you see. Also if I was posting the days events in my Journal I would date the post 1st September even though technically now it's past midnight it's the 2nd.
  • sirjordanncurtis likes this

#22 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted September 2 2018 - 9:39 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

9/2

The final true nanitic has eclosed. This was the pupa that formed its cocoon as the first worker was eclosing. Quite an important milestone in my colony raising :)

3noUH31.jpg

This first image is around 30 minutes after they pulled the worker out of its cocoon. It couldn't walk very much yet, so it kept on stumbling back and forth. At that moment, it was clinging onto a cocoon to try and right itself while the other workers rush around it caring for the brood. The brood pile has actually grown tremendously in the last post. I'm not sure if any new eggs have hatched, but most of those in the brood pile are larvae of varying sizes. I'm expecting a population boom maybe within 2 months :)

Another picture of the nanitic, this one much more recent. She can move around now with ease, although the other workers don't allow her to stray that far from the nest. Every time she walks away from the brood, another older worker grabs her by the head and puts her on top of the brood pile  :lol:

ldAAXM6.jpg

This one's gaster is so red....

J3wZ8VK.jpg

• rdurham02 and rbarreto like this

#23 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted September 12 2018 - 10:54 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

There's going to be quite a bit of updates all centered in this update today since I was unable to post anything on the journal. I was able to take pictures though, so most of the pictures were taken when the 7th nanitic eclosed on September 8th.

9/8

Seventh nanitic! I didn't actually consider her to be a true nanitic because of how much she was fed after the first worker eclosed but I don't think that played much of a part towards her size, since she still looks like a normal sized nanitic. At any rate, these are the last ants to eclose which are part of the nanitic batch.

L3Lc9NV.jpg

liVKpUg.jpg

5huCnVP.jpg

They have quite a bit of brood now! so many of the eggs have hatched and are growing larger every day. It's so cool even though they have so much brood, every one of the eggs/larvae develop at a different rate since they were laid at different times. Usually my other queens lay their eggs one batch at a time, but with these, I can see all of the development!

0vnrBYE.jpg

About a week ago, while working with some fellow anters on the ant-keeping discord, I managed to 3D print a working design which connected the 20mm tube to an AC test tube portal. I first connected their original tube with tape, and the new one you see them in right now with the connector. They decided to move in to the new tube today, so afterwards, I detached the old tube. The test tube portal will probably act as an outworld for them right now until they grow large enough to the other setup. 
9/9

They tried to run out on me :\ :| :D

While I was testing a different connector for the test tube, two of the ants, the "foragers" of the colony decided to take a peek and see what the outside world was like. I think they got sort of disappointed  :blink:

I left them alone for five minutes, and when I came back, I saw one of the workers standing on top of the outworld. She was easy enough to put back inside, but another one had also run away. I found her running around on the ground 9 feet away from the original nest position. It's a good thing not that many of them decided to run away, or it would've been much harder for me.

She looked a little disoriented when I put her back, and acted like this:  %) but I guess she got over it pretty quickly. They really need to make up their minds though, taking 3 days to get used to the AC portal, yet run away the first chance they get.

9/10

Two more larvae pupated today!!! I'm having some trouble getting the workers to eat any protein now that they'e in the outworld, since they used to rely on the queen to touch the fruit flies I give them with her magical mandibles before realizing it was okay to eat them. I don't understand why they completely refuse to touch the fruit flies though, and it's kind of aggravating. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could feed them without finding a way to dump it all the way into the test tube?

9/12

They are actually now reacting very well to extra heat. I put them on the heat mat last night, and this morning, they were all huddle where the mat was in contact with the test tube. Before this, they never seemed to enjoy being next to the heat mat, so this reaction might be a signal that they want to increase brood development speed too.

I want to try and put a byFormica micro feeder into the test tube portal, but it doesn't fit because the lid for the portal has this concave cylinder that points downwards in the middle and makes it impossible to close down if the feeder is inside. Should I try to cut the cylinder off? I was originally a little unsure of whether I should change it, but from what I can see, it doesn't have much materialistic value.

qKtgmK9.jpg

np5WOgL.jpg

• CoolColJ likes this

#24 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted September 12 2018 - 7:47 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
Awesome journal, I'm actually buying a colony of these from drew soon, ill probably not do a journal since they should be pretty simple to take care of. Also I think it should be fine to cut that little bit off.
  • sirjordanncurtis likes this
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#25 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted September 12 2018 - 8:24 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Awesome journal, I'm actually buying a colony of these from drew soon, ill probably not do a journal since they should be pretty simple to take care of. Also I think it should be fine to cut that little bit off.

I tipped the feeder sideways to fit it into the portal, and for now, it seems to be working great; the fraggles are much more receptive to this than any other way I've used in the past :)

The only problem might be that it'll end up being more prone to leaking, or having maybe most of the sugar concentrated in one space as the water slowly evaporates.

#26 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted November 20 2018 - 9:47 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

I've been kind of lazy adding to forum posts, but since these ants don't hibernate, I probably shouldn't be either.

Shortly after my last post, a nanitic died just standing up over sugar water. However, there weren't any deaths after that so it was probably just some mistake.

They are actually growing super fast, right now, they're currently at 40 workers, with 10 pupae and a bunch of eggs/tiny larvae. They haven't had any real majors or even medians yet, (nurbs told me my fraggles were retarded lol) but I think that one of the pupae might be a median. 

They seem to really like bloodworms, and I'm currently alternating between that and fruit flies as food.

The pictures I got are currently pretty lousy, but I'll update a few later on.

#27 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 20 2018 - 9:21 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
How do you get yours to grow that fast!! Mind have only 12 and growing slowly...

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#28 Offline Rstheant - Posted November 21 2018 - 6:35 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Try feeding them bloodwork soup. They suck up the soup and then place their larvae on it, and the larvae eat the remaining solids. I made bloodworm pellets recently, and they were very easy to clean; my fragility went crazy. Within a matter of 5-8 hours, the entire thing was gone!!

#29 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted November 21 2018 - 8:33 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

How do you get yours to grow that fast!! Mind have only 12 and growing slowly...

Feed them more lol! They can take care of food extremely fast. Back when I used to feed them just plain freeze dried bloodworms without making a soup, I could just sprinkle a bit of it into the outworld. The fraggles would grab the bloodworms into the nest and just store it sort of store it near the cotton, with 3 members of the colony constantly munching on the bloodworms all the time. This way, pretty much they regulate how much they eat. (Although nurbs did tell me that I overfed, they ate everything so...)

Try feeding them bloodwork soup. They suck up the soup and then place their larvae on it, and the larvae eat the remaining solids. I made bloodworm pellets recently, and they were very easy to clean; my fragility went crazy. Within a matter of 5-8 hours, the entire thing was gone!!

I've never been able to get them to feed it to the larvae lol... they always just drink it up and then feed the juice to the larvae later on. 

#30 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted November 21 2018 - 10:03 AM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

MvmLa9w.jpg

wECpQtI.jpg

prA3Qx2.jpg

MivVJjO.jpg

• rdurham02 likes this

#31 Offline Rstheant - Posted November 26 2018 - 3:50 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Wow! How do yours grow so fast. My fragilis have, 12+ workers, but even after feeding a lot and heating them, they don’t grow very quickl. Any advice? Any input is welcome.
What is your sugar water substance? The ingredients, and the quantity, if possible... thanks.

#32 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted November 30 2018 - 9:41 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Wow! How do yours grow so fast. My fragilis have, 12+ workers, but even after feeding a lot and heating them, they don’t grow very quickl. Any advice? Any input is welcome.
What is your sugar water substance? The ingredients, and the quantity, if possible... thanks.

it's just brown (cane??) sugar. The key is easy access protein. If you have that and the queen is constantly fed, she can lay more eggs faster. Another key factor you're looking for is when they start storing food in their own gasters instead of relying on the queen to store sugar water/protein. Then, the queen can just focus on laying eggs while they feed her. 

#33 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted December 2 2018 - 7:08 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

The byformica micro sugar feeder seems to be constantly leaking, something I'm currently attributing to the temperature fluctuations between day and night, though the ants have been good about covering the leakage up, so I haven't bothered with cleaning it up until they can't get sugar anymore. It does look like the feeder is empty, but judging from their dark blue gasters, they still seem to be getting liberal amounts of sugar water every day.

• Solenoqueen likes this

#34 Offline Will230145 - Posted December 2 2018 - 7:17 PM

Will230145

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGrove City, Pennsylvania

The byformica micro sugar feeder seems to be constantly leaking, something I'm currently attributing to the temperature fluctuations between day and night, though the ants have been good about covering the leakage up, so I haven't bothered with cleaning it up until they can't get sugar anymore. It does look like the feeder is empty, but judging from their dark blue gasters, they still seem to be getting liberal amounts of sugar water every day.

If there is and sand or substance on the little holes where they drink the liquid, it will start leaking

#35 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted December 2 2018 - 9:30 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

If there is and sand or substance on the little holes where they drink the liquid, it will start leaking

I don't think that's the case, since I thoroughly clean them, and then let everything dry out before adding anything. At any rate, I tried feeding my Camponotus granulated sugar today. They loved it... beat that thermal expansion

#36 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 24 2019 - 7:15 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yeah! :yahoo: 40 workers plus major!! I made a incubator and didn’t check on them for a week. [It was a very tedious process since I used to check on them everyday]. I give them protein [crickets and fruit flies] every 2-3 days to ensure lots of brood. It actually works; 13 pupae, 8 larvae, 20 eggs!!! Sugar mixture: Sunburst Ant Nectar, and Perky Pet hummingbird nectar. They love the stuff!! God, I don’t know what I’m going to do after all the brood encloses. Billy the Major [the new major my fraggles got] doesn’t deserve to be a major. He just stays in the tube, and lets the other workers do the hunting. Bad Billy, bad!! :lol:
  • TestSubjectOne likes this

#37 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 24 2019 - 7:16 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I only use feeders when there is no loose sand in the formicarium for that reason.

#38 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 24 2019 - 7:18 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
BTW, nice outworld. Is that store made or you made it? If you made it, GOOD JOB. It looks awesome.

#39 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 24 2019 - 7:45 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

BTW, nice outworld. Is that store made or you made it? If you made it, GOOD JOB. It looks awesome.

actually it's something I bought from an online store when I visited China, since it was cheap :)

#40 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted February 24 2019 - 7:51 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Now they're in a much different setup. To be honest, the number of workers has no increased by a significant amount, but they're getting more brood now. Went from 1  pupa to 5 today, with around 4 more to come soon! 

• rdurham02 and WanderAnts like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal, camponotus, camponotus journal, camponotus fragilis, c. fragilis, camponotus fragilis journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users