• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

where to buy fruit flies in Canada?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sweetgrass - Posted August 14 2018 - 10:34 AM

sweetgrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMedicine Hat, Alberta Canada

I have looked on Amazon and can not find fruit flies for sale.  Where should I look? 

Are crickets that are as tiny as fruit flies OK for ants?

Thanks

Edited by sweetgrass, August 14 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#2 Offline sweetgrass - Posted August 14 2018 - 11:14 AM

sweetgrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationMedicine Hat, Alberta Canada

A reptile store here is going to order some for me.  He is interested in getting into ants.  

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 14 2018 - 1:22 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

I haven't had any luck finding petshops selling fruit flies either but I was told some shops that specialize in reptiles are more likely to sell them.

But you can't go wrong with crickets. I like the fact that I can go to petsmart and get exactly the number of large crickets I need so I buy them and feed them as soon as I get home. I sued to buy for 2 feedings and then keep half in a storage bin but it's hardly worth the trouble (food smell, etc.) if, like me, you basically pass the petshop every day coming back from work.

Keeping and raising mealworms on the other hand is very easy. This is the exact setup I have (even found the exact same dollar store bin as shown):

Edited by Lazarus, August 14 2018 - 1:23 PM.

My online ant spreadsheet

#4 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 14 2018 - 5:04 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I haven't had any luck finding petshops selling fruit flies either but I was told some shops that specialize in reptiles are more likely to sell them.

But you can't go wrong with crickets. I like the fact that I can go to petsmart and get exactly the number of large crickets I need so I buy them and feed them as soon as I get home. I sued to buy for 2 feedings and then keep half in a storage bin but it's hardly worth the trouble (food smell, etc.) if, like me, you basically pass the petshop every day coming back from work.

Keeping and raising mealworms on the other hand is very easy. This is the exact setup I have (even found the exact same dollar store bin as shown):

You should check out Critter Jungle here in Ottawa! They have fruit flies and any other thing you might need. I've even been talking to one of the workers there and they may be adding some formicaria to their store.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#5 Offline MaxGen - Posted August 15 2018 - 6:30 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

Anyone have a Canadian online shop that sells 32oz containers and filters lids in bulk for fruit fly cultures?

Best i have found so far is: http://www.blackjung...pack_p_447.html

#6 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 15 2018 - 6:41 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

Anyone have a Canadian online shop that sells 32oz containers and filters lids in bulk for fruit fly cultures?

Best i have found so far is: http://www.blackjung...pack_p_447.html

there are some on amazon that i bought that work really well for fruit fly cultures

https://www.amazon.c...rds=joshs frogs

that link is for a kit of 10 cultures

https://www.amazon.c...HMBR1HGPYDJKZR2

or this link that is 20 cups with lids but nothing else

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#7 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 15 2018 - 7:08 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

That is the American amazon website, I'm pretty sure you can import fruit flies into Canada but I don't know if Josh's frogs would ship them here. He doesn't have them on Canadian amazon. I guess that's something you'd have to ask.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#8 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 15 2018 - 7:24 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

That is the American amazon website, I'm pretty sure you can import fruit flies into Canada but I don't know if Josh's frogs would ship them here. He doesn't have them on Canadian amazon. I guess that's something you'd have to ask.

forgot amazon was split up like that. i don't see why he wouldn't ship supplies like that

also found this out via google don't know if they ship to canada

http://www.reptilesu...-deli-cups-lids

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#9 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 15 2018 - 7:31 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

also joshs frogs has an actual website and you could see if they ship to canada via their site

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#10 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 15 2018 - 8:25 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

You should check out Critter Jungle here in Ottawa! They have fruit flies and any other thing you might need. I've even been talking to one of the workers there and they may be adding some formicaria to their store.

Not really interested in fruit flies now that my colonies are so much bigger, but I think this was the name of the place the saleperson at Petsmart said.

I'm actually thinking of starting a superworm colony now. Same principle but you have to separate and isolate the mature worms in order for them to pupate.

I also considering starting a springtail colony not so much for ant feedings but for their cleansing properties.

Edited by Lazarus, August 15 2018 - 8:25 AM.

My online ant spreadsheet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users