• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

messor barbarus dilema...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 14 2018 - 9:33 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I got this messor barbarus queen from a friend from a friend and she is not a red head,and i know that the majors have red heads but does the same stand if the queen does not have the same mutation?

Do they have red heads still?In any case does it effect it in any way?

Edited by NikolaBale, August 14 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#2 Offline dermy - Posted August 14 2018 - 11:09 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I doubt colour will matter, since there are variations in colours of the same species in the wild anyway. As long as the queen is mated and healthy everything should be alright.

#3 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 14 2018 - 11:23 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I doubt colour will matter, since there are variations in colours of the same species in the wild anyway. As long as the queen is mated and healthy everything should be alright.

What do you mean by that i asked if the majors will still have red heads like messor barbarus are known to have that mutation...I'm not saying anything is wrong

#4 Offline ZllGGY - Posted August 14 2018 - 11:34 AM

ZllGGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationLaramie, WY

they could possibly stil have the red head as workers are not directly copies or clones of a queen

Colonies:

Founding:

Camponotus cf. Modoc

Camponotus cf. Herculeanus

Dream Ants:

Stenamma Diecki

Solenopsis Molesta

Manica Invidia

Camponotus Herculeanus

Lasius Latipes

Dorymyrmex Pyramicus

Tapinoma Sessile

#5 Offline Nare - Posted August 14 2018 - 12:31 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Can confirm, I have an all black queen, just got my first major a couple weeks ago, and she has a beautiful red head. Some of the media workers, just a bit smaller, have lighter heads as well, but don't expect any until maybe the 1 year mark or so. Probably 1 year and a couple months.

#6 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 14 2018 - 12:34 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Can confirm, I have an all black queen, just got my first major a couple weeks ago, and she has a beautiful red head. Some of the media workers, just a bit smaller, have lighter heads as well, but don't expect any until maybe the 1 year mark or so. Probably 1 year and a couple months.

Wait of what species?

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#7 Offline Nare - Posted August 14 2018 - 12:44 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Wait of what species?

Messor barbarus… I'd ordered some. I know some people are kinda pissy about shipping ants, but they arrived just fine, and I did my research. There are no restrictions against shipping ants in Canada with the exception of Pogonomyrmex occidentalis. It was kinda foolish in hindsight, but they're doing fine, and they've actually made me appreciate my local ants even more.

#8 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 14 2018 - 12:49 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I'm pretty sure its the exact opposite. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are the only ants we are legally allowed to import, and only from the US (Don't worry, I won't tell). Also there is nothing against shipping ants in Canada.

Edited by rbarreto, August 14 2018 - 12:49 PM.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#9 Offline skocko76 - Posted September 5 2018 - 7:43 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Nikola,

I have a colony of M. barbarus black head, and can confirm there are red-headed majors in it.

They started appearing around 100-150 workers, had yellow/orange heads that darkened within 7 days of enclosure, sadly.

Different head coloring can still be noticed in those light head individuals, some as brown, some as mahogany red.

So no fiery-red majors in my colony. I'll try to get some photos to attach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users