• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tarheelants Mini Hearth question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 13 2018 - 6:49 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I have a few quick questions about the mini hearth:

1. Do you guys keep it exposed to light or not?

2. If not, do you cover the glass portion or do you store it in the dark?

3. If you do cover it, what do you use?

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 13 2018 - 9:36 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

This kind of goes for all ants, if you want them to do their best, you minimally engage with them and leave them in a warm dark area.  That being said, it doesn't really matter if they are kept in the light or not.  

• rbarreto likes this

#3 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 14 2018 - 12:58 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

exposed, but last colony I used red film, the thicker type, cut out the shape with holes for the magnets and it was a snug fit.

off course you need to do this before you put the ants in...

this actually improved visibility.. as it cut down the reflections, and I just shined an Ebay LED light on it to view

Edited by CoolColJ, August 14 2018 - 12:59 AM.

• rbarreto and Ikerrilove like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 14 2018 - 1:13 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You can also shine a light through the water tower in the mini hearths, reducing glare from the front, no?

exposed, but last colony I used red film, the thicker type, cut out the shape with holes for the magnets and it was a snug fit.

off course you need to do this before you put the ants in...

this actually improved visibility.. as it cut down the reflections, and I just shined an Ebay LED light on it to view

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users