• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Outside Ottawa, Wild colony queen foraging?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 13 2018 - 8:33 AM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada
These were taking on the 11th of August just outside Ottawa on the Ottawa River. They were on a gravel path under the electric poles just next to a small grouping of trees. 

If this is a queen and I'm not confused then this queen was working with the others just like any other worker. 

Not overly shy, very abundant in this pebbled path on a slight slope. Gets morning sun and shade in afternoon/evening. Nest is in small tufts of grass or flat holes that aren't sandy at all. 

I included a few other workers to help narrow it down

I'm not sure about the size yet so I'm not looking to get a specific species but I'm really new to this so even some basic info or guesses you might have will help steer me in the right directions to research.

Thanks.

Edited by Ikerrilove, August 13 2018 - 8:33 AM.

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 13 2018 - 8:40 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Looks like a Myrmica queen with a dented gaster. These queens are semi-claustral and are often seen foraging, sometimes even when they have workers. It is also possible that this queen is part of a polygynous colony and may be taking a worker-like role since her dented gaster may be preventing her from laying.

• Ikerrilove likes this

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Ikerrilove - Posted August 13 2018 - 12:36 PM

Ikerrilove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario, Canada

Are all Myrmica pretty similar to take care of? Maybe I'm not looking right, I can't find any info on keeping them except for the Myrmica Rubia

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 13 2018 - 1:11 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Most Myrmica are semi claustral and can forage with their workers. Some are cryptic leaf litter dwellers in wooded areas though. They are considered to be somewhat hard to get through the founding stage and some are polygynous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users