• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forum going down for repair and upgrades

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 10 2018 - 5:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Due to some hardware problems with the server, the forum will be going offline for repair tonight around 9:00 10:00 PM PST, and probably won't be back online until Sunday night. If all goes well, it might be back online sooner.

• dermy, Spamdy and Trythis22 like this

#2 Offline dermy - Posted August 10 2018 - 7:17 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks for giving us a heads up on this drew. I know lots of forums that sometimes [even if they know they need to do stuff] forget to tell their userbase that they need to repair stuff and everyone's "left in the dark" freaking out about stuff :D .

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 10 2018 - 7:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sorry I meant 10:00 PM, not 9:00 PM.

#4 Offline Trythis22 - Posted August 10 2018 - 8:58 PM

Trythis22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Many people are also unaware of the headaches associated with maintaining a website, especially if you shoulder a lot of the work yourself. So many things go wrong and diving into the CSS to find a needle in a haystack is a nightmare. I know from personal experience. Every year you also pay a hosting fee (to keep your site online), which is typically more expensive than any formicarium you can buy. 

I'm sure Drew's outsourced a lot of the muscle and he's familiar with the process, but I wanted to say this so that others can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a website. It took a long time for this community to become this large and the beginning must have been tough. 

Thanks Drew. 

• dermy and Ikerrilove like this

#5 Offline Nare - Posted August 10 2018 - 9:09 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Was this all a big prank? Or does it take a little while to go down?

#6 Offline Major - Posted August 12 2018 - 5:46 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

No it wasn't. The forum was offline and you couldn't connect.

#7 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 12 2018 - 5:50 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Lol, he asked that question since Drew said the forum would be down at 10:00pm in California, but it was still on a little afterwards.

Edited by sirjordanncurtis, August 12 2018 - 5:51 PM.

#8 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 12 2018 - 7:25 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
I thought forums were hacked!

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2018 - 7:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Many people are also unaware of the headaches associated with maintaining a website, especially if you shoulder a lot of the work yourself. So many things go wrong and diving into the CSS to find a needle in a haystack is a nightmare. I know from personal experience. Every year you also pay a hosting fee (to keep your site online), which is typically more expensive than any formicarium you can buy. 

I'm sure Drew's outsourced a lot of the muscle and he's familiar with the process, but I wanted to say this so that others can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a website. It took a long time for this community to become this large and the beginning must have been tough. 

Thanks Drew. 

Thanks. I actually don't outsource anything. I own the server the forum is hosted on. I literally had it in my apartment all weekend working on it.

• dermy, AntsAreUs, ConcordAntman and 2 others like this

#10 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 12 2018 - 9:50 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Lol, he asked that question since Drew said the forum would be down at 10:00pm in California, but it was still on a little afterwards.
Actually, Drew didn't even say American time, let alone California ;)
We Aussies are used to that cr*p though! :)

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 13 2018 - 12:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Due to some hardware problems with the server, the forum will be going offline for repair tonight around 9:00 10:00 PM PST, and probably won't be back online until Sunday night. If all goes well, it might be back online sooner.

#12 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 13 2018 - 6:28 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

So, did you fix everything? Get a chance to upgrade php to 7.0=< and fix db issues? And upgrade arrow chat to latest?  :lol:

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 13 2018 - 6:35 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

So, did you fix everything? Get a chance to upgrade php to 7.0=< and fix db issues? And upgrade arrow chat to latest?  :lol:

The forum is being held together with duct tape and epoxy, and you think he's going to be upgrading software?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#14 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 13 2018 - 7:14 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

The forum is being held together with duct tape and epoxy, and you think he's going to be upgrading software?

Yes, via a staging server, since he owns the hardware. Test the upgrades in a VM and verify the outcome. Honestly 30min of time will be needed (if you have done it before) and could solved other issues by upgrading this software.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 13 2018 - 7:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Yes, via a staging server, since he owns the hardware. Test the upgrades in a VM and verify the outcome. Honestly 30min of time will be needed (if you have done it before) and could solved other issues by upgrading this software.

I suggested that over a year ago. He says it's too hard to make a copy of the forum.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#16 Offline nurbs - Posted August 13 2018 - 7:23 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Don't think any of you have any idea how much time hardcore antkeeping takes out of our daily lives (caring for over 100 colonies, making nests, feeding, researching, all the while trying not to step over all the tools and boxes and containers and all kinds of ant related sh***t in our apt).

Drew and I b***tch about this on a daily basis, because we don't think anyone else can relate.

Edited by nurbs, August 13 2018 - 7:24 PM.

• dermy likes this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#17 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 13 2018 - 8:34 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Don't think any of you have any idea how much time hardcore antkeeping takes out of our daily lives (caring for over 100 colonies, making nests, feeding, researching, all the while trying not to step over all the tools and boxes and containers and all kinds of ant related sh***t in our apt).

Drew and I b***tch about this on a daily basis, because we don't think anyone else can relate.

Having 60 queens was a pain in the a** couldn't imagine MORE PLUS anting equipment all over the place. Yes, I understand, I just forget sometimes. Why not just make a mirror of everything BUT the DB and let someone mess with it like drtmiller if he is up for it? It should only need to be done once, afterwards can just rync everything that gets updated to the staging server.

Example:

1. Create VM with 40GB? of space 2GB ram with a 1 vcore (maybe max cpu usage at 30%?)

2. Install any [censored] linux flavor, would recommend debian but that's just me

3. Install all require prereqs. Ex. php5.5  (whatever is currently installed) mysql etc

4. Install IPBoards

5. Rync over custom data, probably whole ipboards installation folder

6. Import DB (cause you have them dumped like every 5 minutes)

7. Verify everything works like it should

8. Snapshot the VM

9. Start screwing around

10. Rise and repeat with snapshot reverting if anything breaks

Would test:

1. PHP 7+ (there is a known increase in speed just by updating the version alone)

2. Mysql upgrading and db optimizing

3. Caching settings

4. New versions of ipboards and arrowchat

5. New db backup method: maindb--livesync-->duplicatemaindb--->dumpfile - This would prevent locks on maindb thereby eliminating lag during any db backups as once the dupe db isn't locked anymore the sync kicks in and push all new changes without loss of data or time as it queues changes to be synced.

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 13 2018 - 8:37 PM.

#18 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 13 2018 - 9:08 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

This post was made by me at 2.37pm CST which probably means as much to you as PST means to me! :)
It's not a problem though, I wasn't meaning to cause an argument or anything, just pointing out that not everyone is going to know that PTS is a time zone in America and is Californian time :)

Edited by DaveJay, August 13 2018 - 11:40 PM.

#19 Offline Lazarus - Posted August 14 2018 - 6:53 AM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Just wanted to thank Drew for hosting and putting in all the time and effort to keep this place up and running. As someone actively putting in a lot of my own time an skills supporting another one of my hobbies (rocketry) I can appreciate how a lot of that goes unnoticed by those benefiting.

Thanks Drew!

My online ant spreadsheet

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 14 2018 - 9:28 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Having 60 queens was a pain in the a** couldn't imagine MORE PLUS anting equipment all over the place. Yes, I understand, I just forget sometimes. Why not just make a mirror of everything BUT the DB and let someone mess with it like drtmiller if he is up for it? It should only need to be done once, afterwards can just rync everything that gets updated to the staging server.

Example:

1. Create VM with 40GB? of space 2GB ram with a 1 vcore (maybe max cpu usage at 30%?)

2. Install any [censored] linux flavor, would recommend debian but that's just me

3. Install all require prereqs. Ex. php5.5  (whatever is currently installed) mysql etc

4. Install IPBoards

5. Rync over custom data, probably whole ipboards installation folder

6. Import DB (cause you have them dumped like every 5 minutes)

7. Verify everything works like it should

8. Snapshot the VM

9. Start screwing around

10. Rise and repeat with snapshot reverting if anything breaks

Would test:

1. PHP 7+ (there is a known increase in speed just by updating the version alone)

2. Mysql upgrading and db optimizing

3. Caching settings

4. New versions of ipboards and arrowchat

5. New db backup method: maindb--livesync-->duplicatemaindb--->dumpfile - This would prevent locks on maindb thereby eliminating lag during any db backups as once the dupe db isn't locked anymore the sync kicks in and push all new changes without loss of data or time as it queues changes to be synced.

I'll make those forum upgrades when I have the time. The server that the forum virtual machine is on, hosts about 15 other virtual machines as well. There is a lot more going on there than just this forum. Also, I don't think you have any idea how much customization has gone into this forum.

The main reason we started talking about this was because of the performance, especially while the forum backs up every hour at :07. This is actually no longer an issue now because as I was working on the server, I increased the memory from 32 GB to 256 GB of RAM. The forum now has gone from having 4 GB to 16 GB of RAM allocated to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users