• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Ants4fun's formicariums

formicarium ants4fun

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 9 2018 - 9:44 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I've been developing formicariums that would be a bit more natural than test tube setups, yet still provide full visibility.

I'm a big fan of the old antscanada classic nests and picture frame formicariums in general.

The common theme I've been using is adding extra substrate for the ants to customize their nest a bit.

First up is a founding formicarium I made. I purchased these containers at Hobby Lobby for $1 each.

I poured Hydrostone at the bottom.

Then, I added different substrates.

Here is a queen carpenter ant. I found her inside her founding chamber, so I simply placed the whole founding chamber in the container.

(Up close view)

The Hydrostone maintains moisture well, and poking a couple holes in the cork lid retains enough humidity so that you only need to add water once a week or two.

Here is another concept for very small queens.

This picture frame comes with a roughly 2 mm space between the thick pieces of glass to hold the picture.

I put Hydrostone along the sides, and filled the middle with dirt.

This Brachymyrmex queen dug out a founding chamber, and was observed drinking from the Hydrostone walls.

[

The formicarium can be placed in water, or it can be watered every few days for hydration.

Then, I made two full size formicariums. The first was made with the clay casting method using hydrostone.

Then, I lined the Chambers with a Hydrostone and fine sand mixture. I really liked the look of that mixture, and it observed water better. I then added pebbles, fine sand, clay, and bark for the ants to customize.

Kind of a crude first try, but hopefully it looks a bit nicer next time.

I'm a bit prouder of my second creation. I kept mixing fine sand with the Hydrostone, and poured six miniture nests using the clay casting method.

I then put them inside this lazy Suzanne picture frame. I connected them with tubing inside. Then, I connected one nest to the outworld on top.

Everything is solidified with Hydrostone, so the ants cannot burrow into it.

Everything is still smudged and sticky with silicone. I'll get better pictures when I move my recently cought aphenogastor colony.

Edited by Ants4fun, August 9 2018 - 9:49 PM.

• Spamdy, Scrixx, CoolColJ and 1 other like this

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 10 2018 - 2:51 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

For the picture frame one, did you expand the middle, or did you keep the same original 2mm distance?

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted August 10 2018 - 3:07 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

For the picture frame one, did you expand the middle, or did you keep the same original 2mm distance?

No, it was fused together on the bottom. However, the queen seemed to be just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users