• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

VEN - Oecophylla smaragdina

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline venator - Posted August 9 2018 - 6:28 PM

venator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMars

June 5th, Acquired a few O. smaragdina new queens. Placed them in small test tubes with extra holes drilled in. The holes are to increase airflow for this species, or they will die. Water reservoir is purposely made small to prepare them for eventual move to tree formicarium.

June 12th, All queens have larvae, and are using them to spin webs

GNDyGbj.jpg

vi9At1z.jpg?1

June 15th, Tree formicarium completed and I placed the queen with the most brood in. I removed the cotton plug from the test tube and simply placed the test tube on a branch.

XW8kQnK.jpg

June 25th, nanitics are starting to eclose.

July 25th, there is about 15 nanitics in the tree formicarium. Picture quality is bad because it's very hard to get the camera inside the formicarium to take pictures.

Bl4RpVO.jpg

August 7, big day today, the tree colony has finally moved out of the test tube. The test tube has been dry for a while, and the colony chose a spot on the top of the tree. Unfortunately, the colony completed the move when I was at work, so I did not get any footage of the move. There is about 20 workers, and a little brood. It was difficult to feed this colony, so brood count is a little low, but I still saw a few pupae and eggs.

New nesting site:

O1osjuV.jpg

RV13ZLI.jpg

nLwAKua.jpg

The nest:

QL0RTfj.jpg

6MfgM8u.jpg

oQboXuA.jpg

UDRHE8N.jpg

HMq7qBC.jpg

August 8, Gave the tree colony its first meal worm, and they accepted it and dragged it into the nest. Previously the colony only accepted sugar water and fruit flies. In fact, the the big dark spot inside the nest is actually a pile of dead fruit flies.

buNTsgD.jpg

Aplhr0D.jpg

k1ImLmI.jpg

Edited by venator, August 9 2018 - 6:51 PM.

#2 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 9 2018 - 6:33 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Won't nanitics end up crawling out? You might want to stick small screens or some sort of mesh on it later on.

#3 Offline venator - Posted August 9 2018 - 6:53 PM

venator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMars

Won't nanitics end up crawling out? You might want to stick small screens or some sort of mesh on it later on.

All the queens have been placed in various open formicariums. I think this species cannot survive in a closed test tube for long.

#4 Offline Leo - Posted August 21 2018 - 10:24 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I have a colony too! but my setup is nowhere as advanced as yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users