• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A seedless harvester ant diet?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fud - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:07 PM

fud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So I caught a Pogonomyrmex Californicus queen a few days ago and I am too cheap to buy seed for it. Would it be possible for me to feed the colony only honey and bugs without the colony dying off? Also, could I use random seeds I see in my backyard?

Edited by fud, August 9 2018 - 4:08 PM.

#2 Offline Nare - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:25 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

So I'm no expert, but I do have some messor. I think that seeds are a must. And there's no reason not to buy them - you can even pick up some poppy seeds from the store - mine love those. I wouldn't use random seeds from your backyard, they might have pesticides on them.

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:28 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You will be killing them if you do not give them seeds.  They are called "Harvester" ants for a reason.  Honey is something you do not give them, they do not need it at all.  If you would read the "Preferred Food by Species" topic, you would see that they mostly eat grass seeds, niger seeds, poppy seeds, and whatever else is on there.  Don't get animals if you aren't prepared to care for them.

#4 Offline fud - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:37 PM

fud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

From what I have observed, harvester ants will take honey if it is given to them.

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:40 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

From what I have observed, harvester ants will take honey if it is given to them.

Because it is one of the only things you have presented to them.  They will not do well if you keep giving it to them.  Their wild diets almost completely consist of seeds and insects.

#6 Offline WestLA_DO - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:41 PM

WestLA_DO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOrange County, previously West Los Angeles
To put it simply, no. Seeds are the staple of their diet. I have a pretty sizable (600-700) P. californicus colony and they mostly eat seeds (crushed/grounded plain sunflower seeds, Kentucky bluegrass, black niger, poppy) supplemented with proteins (crickets, mealworms, fruit flies, dubia roaches, spiders). I don't give them any sugar water or honey. If you don't want to have a successful colony, then by all means, carry on.
  • Zeiss likes this

#7 Offline fud - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:43 PM

fud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So, what seeds can I buy that are cheap and they'll actually eat?

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 9 2018 - 4:44 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

So, what seeds can I buy that are cheap and they'll actually eat?

Click the link I put in my above post and you'll see what they can eat.  Then search for seeds that do not have any chemicals, fertilizers, or additives.

#9 Offline venator - Posted August 9 2018 - 5:02 PM

venator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMars

I usually buy mixed seeds for birds and they work well for my harvesters. Make sure you buy the ones with smaller seeds though

• fud likes this

#10 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 10 2018 - 2:22 AM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Seeds will stay viable for years, a small pack of finch or canary mix will cost only a couple of dollars and last for years. If you were in my area and I was still keeping finches a couple of cups of seed would be nothing to me and I would just give it to you, maybe you know a birdkeeper that would give you a jar for $1 or nothing? Worth a shot if you know someone who keeps small birds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users