• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

VoidElecent's Dolichoderus mariae Journal (Updated 7/6/18)

dolichoderus dolichoderus mariae mariae dolichoderus journal journal dolichoderinae queen dolichoderus queen dolichoderus mariae queen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 28 2018 - 9:45 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Members of Formiculture,

As some of you may be aware, I was recently lucky enough to come into the possession of what appears to be a Dolichoderus mariae dealate. I am unfamiliar with many ant-keepers who have successfully kept this genus, and am excited, to say the least, to be keeping one. D. mariae is one of my dream species and I never thought I'd have the opportunity to actually see members of the species in real life, let alone the opportunity to rear a colony from a single queen. 

That said, I don't really know what I'm doing. I have the queen in a standard test tube setup but am unsure if she's fully-claustral, semi-claustral, or even socially parasitic. If any of you have any advice at all, it would be much appreciated. 

June 25, 2018:

After the queen was collected, she was immediately subject to a mandatory photoshoot. It became immediately apparent that she was strikingly beautiful and remarkably photogenic.

EWT2LjS.jpg

Nmq91yu.jpg

3d6o9lj.jpg

oG7kKTY.jpg

kXGejtT.jpg

KpfzOfg.jpg

I fed her a sugar water soaked cotton ball to give her a little energy boost. She was rather hesitant at first actually appeared to be afraid of the treat, but later overcame her fear and decided it tasted pretty good.

9afDVss.jpg

QGiCpPx.jpg

Edited by VoidElecent, July 6 2018 - 5:23 PM.

• LC3, noebl1, Kevin and 6 others like this

#2 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 28 2018 - 10:18 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I'm beyond jealous.  We have a colony of these in our back yard, and I see them tending aphids.  One of the most amazing looking species I've ever seen where their gasters have a mirror finish.

EDIT: Dolichoderus plagiatus is what we have in our back yard, however I found one of these queens in August 2016, but she didn't make it.

http://www.formicult...sachusetts-usa/

Edited by noebl1, June 28 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• VoidElecent likes this

#3 Offline Miles - Posted June 28 2018 - 11:32 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

This article from the Journal of Insect Science may be of use to you: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3011848/

• VoidElecent likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 28 2018 - 1:38 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

June 28, 2018:

With my brother's help, I constructed an outworld carpeted with sand for my Dolichoderus queen and proceeded to feed her two dead fruit flies on a tinfoil tray. She ignored the fruit flies, tried her hardest to escape, and now refuses to return to her claustral chamber. I'm starting to think this won't be nearly as straightforward as I had initially hoped.

I'm beyond jealous.  We have a colony of these in our back yard, and I see them tending aphids.  One of the most amazing looking species I've ever seen where their gasters have a mirror finish.

EDIT: Dolichoderus plagiatus is what we have in our back yard, however I found one of these queens in August 2016, but she didn't make it.

I remember this thread from a while back. At the time, was beyond jealous. D plagiatus are also stunning; you're lucky you have them in your backyard.

This article from the Journal of Insect Science may be of use to you: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3011848/

Thank you for the reference. The article was helpful, indeed, but confirmed my suspicions that she will be difficult to raise. I've contacted the authors in the hopes that one of them will offer their assistance, but it is unlikely.

• noebl1 likes this

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 28 2018 - 2:12 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

June 28, 2018:

With my brother's help, I constructed an outworld carpeted with sand for my Dolichoderus queen and proceeded to feed her two dead fruit flies on a tinfoil tray. She ignored the fruit flies, tried her hardest to escape, and now refuses to return to her claustral chamber. I'm starting to think this won't be nearly as straightforward as I had initially hoped.

I remember this thread from a while back. At the time, was beyond jealous. D plagiatus are also stunning; you're lucky you have them in your backyard.

Thank you for the reference. The article was helpful, indeed, but confirmed my suspicions that she will be difficult to raise. I've contacted the authors in the hopes that one of them will offer their assistance, but it is unlikely.

I like to give my queens a few days in their test tube, just to establish it as a home, then I give them sand or dirt when I introduce them to an outworld which helps them build up by their entrance. The queen will then construct the test tube to her liking.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 28 2018 - 3:03 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
She might be parasitic... I would try boosting her with some pupae. Even if she doesn't end up being parasitic, it will greatly increase her chances of survival.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 1 2018 - 11:44 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

July 1, 2018:

One of the two authors on the Dolichoderus mariae study that Miles shared with me replied to my message:

"Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, D. Mariae newly mated queens get adopted into existing colonies.  I suppose there is a chance that they are capable of founding independently, but I would think that the vast majority depend on adoption to become reproductive.  So the best avenue for you would probably be to give her to a group of workers.  The issue of colony identity remains, and the degree of relatedness to the workers might still have an effect on queen survival and success.

Good luck to you and your queen.

Cheers, WRT"

Thoughts?

Edited by VoidElecent, July 20 2020 - 1:38 PM.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#8 Offline Major - Posted July 1 2018 - 12:37 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Well it seems that the only thing to do is to find some workers for her. But there may be a little problem doing that, as it seems you had quite difficulty finding this queen, so that would also mean it would be difficult to find workers. Good luck...

#9 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 6 2018 - 5:21 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

7/6/2018:

We developed a set up for the queen that involved a small container with a grout base attached to her test tube. She's been snacking on honey water and egg yolk but stays away from insect protein.

It also looks like she's starting to slow down, I have a sinking suspicion that my journey with her is beginning wind down.

Edited by VoidElecent, July 6 2018 - 5:22 PM.

• Major likes this

#10 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 6 2018 - 8:05 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

7/6/2018:

We developed a set up for the queen that involved a small container with a grout base attached to her test tube. She's been snacking on honey water and egg yolk but stays away from insect protein.

It also looks like she's starting to slow down, I have a sinking suspicion that my journey with her is beginning wind down.

Such a beautiful queen... I hope this isn't the case.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#11 Offline Miles - Posted July 8 2018 - 9:06 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

7/6/2018:

Have you been able to find any colonies of this species?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#12 Offline Major - Posted August 8 2018 - 8:16 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
Update?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dolichoderus, dolichoderus mariae, mariae, dolichoderus journal, journal, dolichoderinae, queen, dolichoderus queen, dolichoderus mariae queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users