• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant_Dude2908's Camponotus chromaides Journal (Discontinued)

journal ant camponotus camponotus chromaiodes carpenter ant chromaiodes

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted April 2 2019 - 10:58 AM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
If you believe them to be diseased, why did you say you were going to add them to colony #1?
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#62 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:01 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I said they may have an unknown infection that may harm the local ecosystems if released. Not many fungi thrive in a dry enclosure.
  • Canadian anter likes this

#63 Offline Xanuri - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:06 AM

Xanuri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationApache Junction, Arizona

I said they may have an unknown infection that may harm the local ecosystems if released. Not many fungi thrive in a dry enclosure.

That would be a risk I wouldn't be willing to take! Just sayin....

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Current Ants:

C. CA02

C. fragilis

C. vicinus

M. mendax

N. cockerelli

V. pergandei

#64 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:07 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
If keeping them right now is such a huge difficulty, then you can keep them at cold temperatures to slow down their metabolism, practically hibernating them, and then wait for a new owner.

Expensive colonies typically will not sell in two days, they often take weeks if not months to sell.
  • FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#65 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:08 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I'm not killing it to make my other colony larger. I will either sell it, or kill it. I cannot keep them anymore, and I am NOT releasing them. They could have an unknown infection, that will destroy the ants elsewhere in Tennessee. If anyone wants them (Tennessee residents) pm me. If situations (meaning money) get better soon, I will keep them. I want to keep them, but am not sure if I can.

If they have an infection then why would you consider mingling any of them with your "healthy" colony? If they are sick and are capable of infecting other ants or spreading something that shouldn't be spread, then the whole colony should be burned!

There is always the possibility of an infection in a captive colony. I will not take the chance of destroying local ecosystems because of an infected colony I did not want to kill.

#66 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:09 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

This isn't really the case. Do whatever you want, but if it were me I would release the queen with at least 20 of the workers, and then add the remaining workers and brood to your other colony if that is what you're wanting.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#67 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:11 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

If keeping them right now is such a huge difficulty, then you can keep them at cold temperatures to slow down their metabolism, practically hibernating them, and then wait for a new owner.
Expensive colonies typically will not sell in two days, they often take weeks if not months to sell.

I did not think of that. I will do that. That way I can still keep them, while not spending money I don't have. Thanks! :)
  • FeedTheAnts, YsTheAnt and Xanuri like this

#68 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:14 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
So there will not be any updates on colony #2 for a while. When money is better, I will take them out. :)

#69 Offline dermy - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:16 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have decided I only want one large colony of these, so I will be either selling colony #2, or kill the queen and give the workers and brood to colony #1. If not spoken for in 48 hours, they will be added to colony #1. Price is $275 for queen, >70 workers and THA Discus formicarium.

First off what I'm about to reply with with rustle some people's feathers so just a heads up. As you've stated before these ants may potentially have some form of fungal infection/problem. I wouldn't advise risking "mixing" colonies of Ants [even if they are the same exact species] mainly because they rarely if ever "Accept" each other [there are acceptations, and sometimes callows will be accepted into other colonies but this is not the case in your situation.] If feeding truly is a issue for you, you can try and cool the temperature by a few degrees to slow the queen's egg production/brood growth whilst you either wait for someone to take them or get more food resources at your disposal. I hate to be that guy but I find it all too often that people start keeping ants only to realize down the road that they do in fact eat quite a bit more food than they originally thought they would. If you can I would suggest breeding a colony of mealworms, or another feeder insect to sustain your ant colonies.

If you aren't able to find a new owner, slow production of the colony down, or get food resources for them, and there is no other way around it I would suggest culling off the entire colony, I wouldn't even risk brood transferring if you think the colony has some infection of sorts. I know a LOT of people hate when you say "kill them" but think of it this way, if you freeze them humanly it's a lot better than the hundreds of people walking around [possibly at this very moment] stomping on queens like it's a game.

#70 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 11:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I do breed mealworms, but there are not any over 7 millimeters in the bin right now. There are a bunch of breeding beetles though. So soon I should have more food. And I have lots of experience with combining Camponotus spp. colonies, but only if chilled and of the same species.

#71 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 2 2019 - 1:40 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I have decided I only want one large colony of these, so I will be either selling colony #2, or kill the queen and give the workers and brood to colony #1. If not spoken for in 48 hours, they will be added to colony #1. Price is $275 for queen, >70 workers and THA Discus formicarium.

First off what I'm about to reply with with rustle some people's feathers so just a heads up. As you've stated before these ants may potentially have some form of fungal infection/problem. I wouldn't advise risking "mixing" colonies of Ants [even if they are the same exact species] mainly because they rarely if ever "Accept" each other [there are acceptations, and sometimes callows will be accepted into other colonies but this is not the case in your situation.] If feeding truly is a issue for you, you can try and cool the temperature by a few degrees to slow the queen's egg production/brood growth whilst you either wait for someone to take them or get more food resources at your disposal. I hate to be that guy but I find it all too often that people start keeping ants only to realize down the road that they do in fact eat quite a bit more food than they originally thought they would. If you can I would suggest breeding a colony of mealworms, or another feeder insect to sustain your ant colonies.

If you aren't able to find a new owner, slow production of the colony down, or get food resources for them, and there is no other way around it I would suggest culling off the entire colony, I wouldn't even risk brood transferring if you think the colony has some infection of sorts. I know a LOT of people hate when you say "kill them" but think of it this way, if you freeze them humanly it's a lot better than the hundreds of people walking around [possibly at this very moment] stomping on queens like it's a game.

Agreed, killing the colony is not a problem at all, and I don't know why people are making such a huge deal out of it. I think when you mentioned killing only the queen it set off some alarms because somehow that seems more cruel than freezing the entire colony. 

On a different note, you should buy Fluker's Can O Worms, my ants love them and a container(about 300 mealworms) is less than five dollars.

Edit: Come to think of it my Camponotus seem a little less interested than my other ants in the Fluker's mealworm. You might want to try it out and return it if they don't like it.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, April 2 2019 - 1:41 PM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#72 Offline Rstheant - Posted April 2 2019 - 3:30 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
It’s not the Hunger Games except in ants. I’m sure somebody will buy it.
:lol:

#73 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 18 2019 - 8:58 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

4-18-19

Colony #1

Freya has been laying eggs like crazy! Up to about 250 workers now. Most of the workers hatching recently have been the largest majors yet, at around 14-15 millimeters. 

#74 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 18 2019 - 9:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m glad she’s doing so well and honored that my name for her stuck, so to speak. Long live Freya!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#75 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 20 2019 - 3:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Any tips for raising this species, or are they basically similar to other Camponotus? Someone should make a caresheet for them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#76 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 20 2019 - 11:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Care is very similar to pennslyvanicus and noveaboracensis.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#77 Offline Acutus - Posted April 24 2019 - 12:42 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Can I ask how much and how often you feed the large colony. 

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#78 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 24 2019 - 12:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I feed them a water bottle cap of sugar-water and 1-2 large crickets a day.
  • Acutus likes this

#79 Offline Acutus - Posted April 24 2019 - 7:25 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I feed them a water bottle cap of sugar-water and 1-2 large crickets a day.

Cool! now I have to figure out how big my colony is compared to yours. :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#80 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 24 2019 - 7:31 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Mine has around 230 workers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, ant, camponotus, camponotus chromaiodes, carpenter ant, chromaiodes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users