• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tips & Tricks For Finding Certain Species

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Major - Posted July 23 2018 - 11:52 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
I've seen multiple for us or posts that say something along the lines of, "Where are [species] found? I walked all day and couldn't find any." Not all species and queen are found on sidewalk. So to help reduce posts like that, that clog up the sidebar, I've started this thread. You can list your tip or trick, and I will edit this post and add it. (Of course, credits will be given.) Please use the format below.

Example: Species: - Tip/Trick -Username

Species: Brachyamyrmex Depilis- Can be found mating on lightly colored cars in the afternoon. Colony's can be found living in abandoned ant hills. I usually find them living in Formica hills that have been abandoned. Very small and hard to spot. -Major

Species: Camponotus pensylvanicus, Camponotus subbarbatus, Camponotus nearcticus - Can be found walking around. You can find these queens from quite the distance because of their size. I have found them several times in my grassy yard. -AntsAreUs

Species: Formica incerta, Formica subsericea, Formica neorufibarbis - Can be found walking around in the afternoon on hot, sunny days during June through August. -AntsAreUs

Species: Formica rubicunda - I've found them trying to harass colonies of Formica subsericea alongside forest edges. -AntsAreUs

Species: Lasius Brevicornis - Often found under rocks, colony's are quite shallow. -Major

Species: Lasius claviger - They fly during late Fall. Queens hibernate in huge masses together under stones and logs. Queens can also be found during early Spring. -AntsAreUs

Species: Lasius murphyi - Queens can be found walking around everywhere in the evening right after rain in July. -AntsAreUs

Species: Leptogenys sp - The never have any nuptial flights. To find them, follow their foraging trails and you will usually end up at a pile of leaves. Scoop ALL THE LEAVES UP. Catch any stragglers. -Leo

Species: Myrmecina americana - Personally, I have only found them numerous under stones during early Spring. I'm sure they fly during late Fall. -AntsAreUs

Species: Myrmica spp - Queens can be found foraging next to small roads on sandy dirt areas. -Major

Species: Pheidole pilifera - Found literally right after moderate to heavy rain. Queens can be found making claustral chambers into the evening normally in sandy soil. -AntsAreUs

Species: Ponera pennsylvanica - They fly in September and October. Queens can be found under stones and logs during late Fall, early Spring, and even into Summer. -AntsAreUs

Prenolepis Imparis (Winter Ant): I have found them on the first day in April above 70 degrees (Farenheit) and shortly after a rainstorm. (I live in New york, I can't really speak for anywhere else.) -disasterants

Species: Solenopsis molesta - Flights take place during or after sunset. Queens can be found making chambers alongside roads in open soil. -AntsAreUs

Species: Stenamma spp. - Alates can be found throughout the year because they overwinter a portion of their alates occasionally. They can be found under stones and logs in September mostly. -AntsAreUs

Species: Stigmatomma pallipes - Very inconsistent. Can be found as early as July and as late as October. Personally I have recently found a male. -AntsAreUs

Species: Temnothorax Curvispinosus: Look next to dirt covered areas near trees and creeks. They can be caught with blacklight, or you can find them at around 7 PM. 6-9 is probably best. -Major

Species: Temnothorax Longispinosus: Colonys of up to 100 workers can be found in nuts. Be careful with this method though. They do have satellite nests. So you are taking a risk of not catching the queen or the whole colony. -Major

Species: Temnothorax spp. - Can vary quite a bit. I've heard that they fly a little before midnight but I have found them in the afternoon. Generally hard to spot unless you have a black light. -AntsAreUs

Species: Tetramorium immigrans - Here spend most of their time trying to dig on the sides of roads. They fly very early in the morning, normally during sunrise. -AntsAreUs

Feel free to post on this thread! This will help us all!

Edited by Major, August 27 2018 - 11:40 AM.

• Ant Broski, Zxirl, YsTheAnt and 2 others like this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 23 2018 - 2:22 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Species: Tetramorium immigrans - Here spend most of their time trying to dig on the sides of roads. They fly very early in the morning, normally during sunrise.

Species: Camponotus pensylvanicus, Camponotus subbarbatus, Camponotus nearcticus - Can be found walking around. You can find these queens from quite the distance because of their size. I have found them several times in my grassy yard.

Species: Pheidole pilifera - Found literally right after moderate to heavy rain. Queens can be found making claustral chambers into the evening normally in sandy soil.

Species: Solenopsis molesta - Flights take place during or after sunset. Queens can be found making chambers alongside roads in open soil.

Species: Formica incerta, Formica subsericea, Formica neorufibarbis - Can be found walking around in the afternoon on hot, sunny days during June through August.

Species: Formica rubicunda - I've found them trying to harass colonies of Formica subsericea alongside forest edges.

Species: Lasius murphyi - Queens can be found walking around everywhere in the evening right after rain in July.

Species: Temnothorax spp. - Can vary quite a bit. I've heard that they fly a little before midnight but I have found them in the afternoon. Generally hard to spot unless you have a black light.

Species: Ponera pennsylvanica - They fly in September and October. Queens can be found under stones and logs during late Fall, early Spring, and even into Summer.

Species: Myrmecina americana - Personally, I have only found them numerous under stones during early Spring. I'm sure they fly during late Fall.

Species: Lasius claviger - They fly during late Fall. Queens hibernate in huge masses together under stones and logs. Queens can also be found during early Spring.

Species: Stenamma spp. - Alates can be found throughout the year because they overwinter a portion of their alates occasionally. They can be found under stones and logs in September mostly.

Species: Stigmatomma pallipes - Very inconsistent. Can be found as early as July and as late as October. Personally I have recently found a male.

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 23 2018 - 2:25 PM.

• Ant Broski, FeedTheAnts, KBant and 3 others like this

#3 Offline Major - Posted July 25 2018 - 7:14 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I have done my best to alphabetically arrange this list, if they are any errors, please let me know.
  • DaveJay likes this

#4 Offline disasterants - Posted August 3 2018 - 9:13 AM

disasterants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationNew York

prenelopis imparis (winter ant): found them on the first day in April above 70 degrees and shortly after a rainstorm. (in New york, i can't really speak for anywhere else)

Edited by disasterants, August 3 2018 - 9:15 AM.

#5 Offline Major - Posted August 3 2018 - 9:27 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

prenelopis imparis (winter ant): found them on the first day in April above 70 degrees and shortly after a rainstorm. (in New york, i can't really speak for anywhere else)

Just a friendly reminder to make sure to use proper grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and formatting. I will fix it this time.

Edited by Major, August 3 2018 - 9:28 AM.

#6 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 3 2018 - 2:10 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Wouldn't it be easier to add this to https://www.antkeeping.wiki ? You wouldn't have to maintain anything. To prevent duplicates or keep this list going if you really want to, just link the whole line here to the page of that species. Maybe under queens, on Ant Care Sheets, add new section called "Commonly Found". This would make it easier to manage for both you and everyone else. Auto gives credits for anyone that edits the page via page revision notes; so just create an account. This is the whole point of the wiki.

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 3 2018 - 2:13 PM.

• AntsAreUs likes this
> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#7 Offline Major - Posted August 3 2018 - 3:17 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Wouldn't it be easier to add this to https://www.antkeeping.wiki ? You wouldn't have to maintain anything. To prevent duplicates or keep this list going if you really want to, just link the whole line here to the page of that species. Maybe under queens, on Ant Care Sheets, add new section called "Commonly Found". This would make it easier to manage for both you and everyone else. Auto gives credits for anyone that edits the page via page revision notes; so just create an account. This is the whole point of the wiki.

True. This website looks pretty good, I will have to take a deeper look later on. But I also wanted something for Formiculture, many people ask "Where do I find X Species?" I got pretty tired of it pretty quick so I started this. I will leave this here and maybe add everything there too later on sometime.

#8 Offline Leo - Posted August 3 2018 - 4:33 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong
Species: leptogenys sp - never has any nuptial flights. To find them, follow thei foraging trails and you will usually end up at a pile of leaves. Scoop ALL THE LEAVES UP. Catch any straglers.

#9 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 3 2018 - 5:54 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

True. This website looks pretty good, I will have to take a deeper look later on. But I also wanted something for Formiculture, many people ask "Where do I find X Species?" I got pretty tired of it pretty quick so I started this. I will leave this here and maybe add everything there too later on sometime.

And then you just link them to the Ant Care Sheet with that info and bunch of other stuff they will need. Next questions will be, oh are the polygynous are they blah blah blah, and so on and that page will also answer those questions.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#10 Offline Major - Posted August 3 2018 - 6:09 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

And then you just link them to the Ant Care Sheet with that info and bunch of other stuff they will need. Next questions will be, oh are the polygynous are they blah blah blah, and so on and that page will also answer those questions.

That is all true. But this thread isn't about care. It's about how to find them.

#11 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 3 2018 - 7:55 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

That is all true. But this thread isn't about care. It's about how to find them.

Yeah, but again, this is another reason for a wiki. Scattering data around everywhere makes it hard for people to find it. And an Ant Care Sheet is just he "name"

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 3 2018 - 7:56 PM.

• Major likes this

#12 Offline Major - Posted August 4 2018 - 6:52 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Yeah, but again, this is another reason for a wiki. Scattering data around everywhere makes it hard for people to find it. And an Ant Care Sheet is just he "name"

I do understand your point. I am still going to keep this thread going and if people want to add to the wiki they can. I can't upload all this info to the wiki without everyone who has contributed's consents. I plan on uploading what I have added sometime later.

#13 Offline Major - Posted August 27 2018 - 11:38 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Species: Brachyamyrmex Depilis- Can be found mating on lightly colored cars in the afternoon. Colony's can be found living in abandoned ant nests, usually large Formica hills.

#14 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 27 2018 - 11:45 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I'm going to be adding it to the wiki within the end of the year. Right now I'm just collecting my data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users