• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strumigenys Habitat

strumigenys habitat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted July 21 2018 - 10:07 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I was wondering if anyone knows where Strumigenys, or Miniature Huntress Ants, are most often found. I've heard that one species lives in and around the nests of Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, and I know where one is. I'm really hoping to find some to pin or keep. Thank you in advance.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 22 2018 - 7:46 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I find them all the time in decaying logs or branches. More uncommonly under rocks embedded in leaf litter. The main thing to look out for is areas with high densities of springtails which is why they may live inside the nests or nearby to other ants.

• LC3 likes this

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted July 24 2018 - 6:58 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I find them all the time in decaying logs or branches. More uncommonly under rocks embedded in leaf litter. The main thing to look out for is areas with high densities of springtails which is why they may live inside the nests or nearby to other ants.

Thanks! I will be on the lookout for them when I get back home in a week and a half.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strumigenys, habitat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users