• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TN queen ID please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted July 18 2018 - 11:17 PM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
So here's the deal, I caught this queen last year between the months of July and September I would say. All the data I recorded last year on everything I caught got erased off my computer so I'm going on my memory right now. She was caught at night time using my backlight and she is 6mm in length. Workers are approximately half that size. My original intentions were to get her Colony going and release her back into the wild this year but decided to keep her. I never posted anything on her last year to get an ID and since making the decision on keeping her I've posted pictures on another forum and for over a week now have yet to get a reply. Hoping to have better luck here :-) I live in Western Tennessee and if these pictures aren't good enough I will get better shot of her. I just don't like disturbing my queens for long periods of time. Thank you in advance to anyone who tries to help.

https://photos.app.g...CzCfGG2ueoqpez6

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 19 2018 - 5:07 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It's Bracchymyrmex depilis.

Edit: Maybe... that's just my best guess.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 19 2018 - 5:11 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted July 19 2018 - 5:24 AM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
You may be right...i was leaning towards Dorymyrmex bureni...any how, ill wait and hope for more ppl to chime in.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 19 2018 - 5:30 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

You may be right...i was leaning towards Dorymyrmex bureni...any how, ill wait and hope for more ppl to chime in.

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking. It definitely looks way more like Dorymyrmex than Bracchymyrmex. I guess I was going mostly off of the glistening of the queen, and hadn't realized Dorymyrmex looked like that. 

Whatever it is, I'm super jealous.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 19 2018 - 5:32 AM.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted July 19 2018 - 5:37 AM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking. It definitely looks way more like Dorymyrmex than Bracchymyrmex. I guess I was going mostly off of the glistening of the queen. 
Whatever it is, I'm super jealous.

Not to worry lol I'm super jealous of your C. chromaiodes and C. castaneus. I need to update my signature as I lost my C. castaneus during hibernation...along with releasing a couple colonies due to keeping other inverts as well now lol. I wish i still had the S. richteri you gave me last year...mouse got into the box i had them in last year and ate them and a couple others i had in the same box.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few 😁

#6 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 19 2018 - 8:31 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Dorymyrmex bureni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users